The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
RAYS 8, Astros (boxscore)
PROGRAMMING NOTES: As you may have noticed, we have made some changes to the top of the screen. Several items, such as the Organizational Depth Chart, have been moved up there for easier access. Also, we have added a new look at the 40-man roster that includes new details, such as how each player was acquired, what year that player can become a free agent, and links to each player’s stats page…Also, I will be off the grid most of today and tomorrow. So unless something big happens, there probably won’t be any updates until Friday. Have a good Fourth everybody, and GO RAYS!
THE GOOD: David Price. Was awesome. It was as good as Price has looked all year. Of course, let’s be careful reading too much into this start. It was a good move to bring Price back against the Astros. That was basically Price’s third rehab start as that was a triple-A lineup. Still, he looked solid and it was very encouraging…All Cylinders. The Rays have now outscored their opponents 26-1 in the last 33 innings.
THE BAD: The Astros. That the Astros have won 30 games is impressive considering their roster. Their highest-paid player makes $3 million. The Rays have 7 players that make at least that much.
THE TELLING: Evan Longoria was back in the lineup as the DH…As we mentioned back in the Spring the Rays will wear their 1970’s faux throwback uniforms on Saturday for Turn Back the Clock night. And there will be a very popular Evan Longoria bobblehead giveaway that night also…The Rays are now 45-39, 5.5 games behind the Red Sox in the East.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Here are the details for the Rays annual fashion show charity event which will be next week. [Rays on the Runway]
- As we mentioned in yesterday’s Tailgating post, Rick Porcello has been suspended and the Rays have signed Ryne Stanek. [Tailgating]
- Here is the Stars and Stripes cap the Rays will wear tomorrow. [@RaysBaseball]
- Alex Cobb is getting better. [TampaBay.com]
- The instant replay system being used at Wimbledon makes baseball’s replay system look like a joke. [BI Sports]
- That crazy Bobby Bonilla contract that has him being paid until 2035? It wasn’t nearly as bad as many seem to think. [BI Sports]
- “Consistently inconsistent” sounds like the proper description for Josh Freeman. [JoeBucsFan]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
CHARLOTTE. no game scheduled
Dayton @ BOWLING GREEN. postponed
PRINCETON. no game scheduled