The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
RAYS 7, Twins 4 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Desmond Jennings. Flash continues his torrid pace since returning to the top of the order. He is now 14-33 (.424) with 6 walks and 11 runs in those 8 games…Ben Zobrist. Zobrist went 2-4 and hit his first right-handed home run of the season…Yunel Escobar. Before Zobrist hit his home run, Escobar hit his own earlier in the 7th inning and it was his that gave the Rays the lead for good.
THE BAD: Roberto Hernandez. He has been unlucky this season with the lack of run support, but last night the offense bailed him out. Batters leading off an inning were 3-5 with a double, a home run and a hit-by-pitch. And he wasn’t much better against other batters, giving up 12 baserunners in 6 innings with just 3 strikeouts…Jamey Wright. It should have been a night off for Fernando Rodney. But Wright gave up back-to-back hits in the 9th inning and Rodney was needed to stop the bleeding.
THE TELLING: Alex Cobb is aiming for a late July or early August return…Durham Bulls reliever CJ Riefenhauser has been added to the Futures Game roster for All-Star weekend…The Rays have now played 9 straight games without an error one short of the team record…The Rays are now 50-40, 3.5 games behind the Red Sox and alone in second place. They are also 1 game ahead of the Orioles for the second Wild Card spot. The only two seasons in which the Rays reached 50 wins faster were 2008 and 2010. They won the division both seasons…
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Jim Leyland says it is not his fault Evan Longoria is not an all-star. [TampaBay.com]
- If you have been checking out our daily images from the games you have seen Luke Scott’s braided rat tail. Well, it just happens to coincide with his recent hot streak so it is probably here to stay. [TBO.com]
- Miguel Cabrera is an ass. But he is also really strong and this is what he can do to a baseball. [BI Sports]
- The Manny Machado play was awesome. But isn’t it a little much to call it the best play ever considering he booted the ball to start? [BI Sports]
- Here are the 20 best players that never started an All-Star game in their career. [BI Sports]
- Here is video of Matt Joyce and Raymond visiting kids in a hospital. [TampaBay.com]
- The MLB Fan Cave has dirt from every ballpark including The Trop. [SnaggingBaseballs]
- Do the Bucs have one of the top-5 O-Lines in the NFL? [JoeBucsFan]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
DURHAM 8. Charlotte 2. Matt Buschmann improved to 4-0 with a 2.56 ERA in 7 triple-A starts after allowing just 1 run in 5 innings. He struck out 5 and walked 3 but still has a solid 44-to-18 strikeout-to-walk ratio…Vince Belnome went 3-3 with 2 walks and a double. His .343 average is second in the IL.
MONTGOMERY 4, Mobile 1 (game 1). Victor Mateo tossed 6 shutout innings allowing 2 hits and 3 walks…Mikie Mahtook went 2-4 with 2 strikeouts.
Mobile 5, MONTGOMERY 4 (10, game 2). Kevin Kiermaier went 3-5 with his 5th home run and 14th stolen base.
CHARLOTTE 1, Bradenton 0. Roberto Gomez went 6.2 innings without allowing a run. He struck out 5 and walked 2…Richie Shaffer went 2-3 and Lucas Bailey hit his first home run of the season.
Lansing 6, BOWLING GREEN 2. Justin O’Conner had 3 hits including his 7th home run…Andrew Toles had 2 hits.