We already showed you Sam Fuld’s amazing game-saving double-play in the 8th inning of last night’s game. But you haven’t really seen it until you also hear Dave Wills’ call.

A hint of disappointment at first. Then he leveled it out and started a crescendo that started to peak when he quickly gave the listeners “it’s going to be close!” and then exploded when the umpire called the runner out.

It was absolutely perfect. It gave us a feel for both the excitement and the importance of the play.

Here’s the video…

But that wasn’t the only fun Rays Radio moment last night. Earlier in the game, during Brandon Snyder’s previous at bat, he hit a ball down the right field line that initially looked like it was going to go foul. But as it became clear that it had a chance to stay fair and be a home run, Andy Freed got excited, likely really excited.

Freed was so excited that I was actually confused for a moment and thought I missed the end of an inning and the Rays were up.

Hey, home runs are exciting and I’m glad the announcers aren’t complete homers for the Rays like Hawk Harrelson is for the White Sox. But for some reason I just found this one a little amusing…

1. zenny says:

Dave Wills is outstanding. So is Andy. Actually, we’re very lucky to have fantastic and entertaining broadcasters on all fronts for the Rays, radio and TV.

2. Dean says:

Dave and Andy are superb. I’ve lived the last two seasons of Rays baseball through MLB At-Bat.

Wills’ call on the Fuld-Nava play was excellent. Was at work and I jumped up and pumped my fists several times and then did an imaginary spike-the-ball gyration.

I’m now on probation for “threatening” my co-workers, but so be it. Playoffs are around the corner and I think we’re going.

3. J 2.0 says:

You know what is an added benefit of the Rays going 20-4 in July so far, we haven’t had any negative comments from good ol’ Don in a little bit.

Maybe he was banned when I wasn’t looking, but either way there has been some intelligent Rays talk on these boards lately.

• Big Tone says:

Believe me, 20-4 wouldn’t have stopped Don :p. Cork finally (and thankfully) banned him. He had been posting under a bunch of different pseudonyms etc. Kind of strange, I wonder what kind of person would be that dedicated to trolling.

• Mr. Smith 1980 says:

Yep. Banned for life.

• Dave L says:

The results of the ban is that the overall number of “Comments’ have decreased, although they always do during winning. Losing is what lights up the Commenters here.

But the overall level of discussion is much more civil and completely idiotic posts seems to have disappeared.

• Beth says:

Knowing Don has been banned, I’ll probably start commenting more. I had often avoided looking at the comments section knowing it would be just more of Don’s garbage. Amazing how one idiot can poison the entire group.

4. Tyler says:

I was actually at the game in Boston yesterday and when that close play at home was made, that place erupted. I have never been one to gloat but man did I gloat and man did they hate me for it.

• Dave L says:

Congrats for witnessing and representing. For me the roads wins are the best when you are there wearing your colors and visiting another ballpark.

You picked a great game it turns out.

5. Dave L says:

Cork got some props and love on WDAE 620 today for that sound bite and they replayed it during the top of the hours news at least once today I heard

6. Scott says:

Unfortunately Fausto Carmona will probably help put and end to the streak! #pleasecomebackalexcobb