USATSI_7290241_154511044_lowresToday is the trade deadline and the Rays have already made one trade, acquiring Jesse Crain from the White Sox two days ago. On this page, we will keep tabs on all the rumors out there today involving the Rays. If it is whispered, it will be here. If a trade does happen, that will show up in its own post above.

Let’s get started…

[4:00 pm] It looks like no deals for the Rays, but we do know who is injured. Matt Moore has been placed on the DL with elbow soreness.

[1:37 pm] According to Dan Connolly, the Orioles are also in hot pursuit of Michael Morseb and are hoping to add him today. And Peter Gammons added that in addition to the Rays and Orioles, three or four other teams are also interested in Morse.

[1:06 pm] Marc Topkin is reporting that Ryan Roberts could be promoted but that it is not trade related. The speculation now is that somebody is injured and heading to the DL.

[12:30 pm] Jon Heyman reports that the Rays are one of several teams talking to the Mariners about Michael Morse. Morse is hitting ,246 with a .327 wOBA, and 11 home runs. And while he can play multiple positions (1B,LF,RF), he doesn’t play any of them particularly well. So the only logical reason to get Morse is to use him as a right-handed DH. This season he is hitting .304 with a .364 OBP and 5 of his home runs versus lefties. He is in the final year of a 2-year, $10.5 million contract is still owed approximately $2 million this season.

[9:00 am] Marc Topkin is reporting that the Rays are working on a deal “presumably to add a hitter.” Also, Ryan Roberts was pulled from the Durham Bulls game last night after two at bats. The presumption is that he is somehow involved, either to be moved to another team or to be called up to replace somebody else…One big name being bounced about is Justin Morneau. Mike Berardino says the Rays had been “monitoring Morneau for weeks” but that the Rays are no longer a likely landing spot…Jayson Stark is reporting that Kyle Farnsworth has “suddenly been made available.” This would make sense with the acquisition of Crain, who would presumably jump ahead of Farnsville on the reliever depth chart.

1. Mike says:

Any truth to Raul Ibanez talk? He had a helluva 1st half but has cooled since the break. I'm just not sure trading for 41 year old dude is gonna pay off in September and October. Thoughts?

• Drew says:

Don't need him

• KT says:

I meant to post this last week but forgot. Anyway, last week I had a dream that Raul Ibanez hit a game winning home run for The Rays. I thought it was a strange dream, but I see his name being floated around now, so hmmm.

• Ken says:

Matsui all over again, plus he'll take AB's away from Scott, KJ and Joyce. No way.

• @m_weber says:

Rays could stand to trim the fat a little when it comes to Joyce, Scott, and KJ. Someone (preferably a RH) needs to take at bats from the trio of redundancy.

• KT says:

Let me just clarify that I'm not advocating that we sign him, I just thought it was weird to have a dream where he hit a walk off for the Rays.

2. colloco says:

I hear mart Joyce might also be in talks, if thats the case it should be someone pretty good for jouce and Roberts, wouldnt it be a dream if they got Giancarlo Stanton from Miami? Heres hoping...

• Dave L says:

Matt Joyce for all his warts is still batting almost .800 OPS vs righties overall in 2013.

He's not going anywhere in a WS/playoff run IMO.

Roberts could be dealt but dont expect for anything but prospects. I think we keep him for roster expansion and depth.

3. Matt says:

Any info on what position the Rays are trying to add a bat at?

4. Mike says:

Matt Joyce? If I remember didn't he sign a very club friendly Longoria type deal? They would have to get a haul to part with him. That would be surprising.

5. Dave L says:

We dont need any veteran bats thats never gonna happen.

For the first time in forever we dont need bats. Whatever would improve us offensively would probably hurt us defensively. Maybe a RH DH but why mess with the chemistry right now?

We could always use another live arm in the pen thats all we need.

I would keep Hernandez for insurance for the rest of the year and playoffs, you never know when an injury to a starter can occur, although his market stock has been rising. I have been harping on that here for weeks.

You tell me Hernandez would not improve ANY playoff contending rotation in the NL? And based on his performance someone else will offer him WAAAAYYY more $$$ than we would in 2014.

6. Rob says:

The Rays don't need much in my opinion. If they could land someone like Stanton (highly doubtful) they should go for it, but I really hope they don't go after a washed up power hitter again. I think they filled that persistent power void in the middle of the lineup from within this year by promoting Myers.

7. Billy Ray says:

On the 40 man roster / Payroll tab, how come many of the Rays ages are incorrect / cracked out. can you fix them??

8. Ken says:

Knowing how the Rays front office works, the player they are targeting is probably not on anyone's radar, is young with a high upside, probably in AAA.
    I agree with Dave L, there is no veteran bat out there better than what we already have. Stanton???, I wish the Marlins are that stupid. Oh wait, they are.

9. Dave L says:

At the end of the day this tread will come up empty most likely.

Remember this is the Friedman Run Rays.

Be happy we got Crain!

We pick up $1.5M of the rest of the year (my math guess) plus possible CASH considerations! Be still my beating heart!

For us thats like a drunken pre-luxury-tax old man Steinbrenner on shore leave.

We are all-in and locked and loaded for the stretch run.

Unless we get some very nice young prospects for Roberto from an NL contender we are likely to be done. I wouldn't trade him to strengthen any AL competitors rotation

• Burn H. says:

Where did you get that # I've been looking couldn't find the #, except that he's on a 13 mill contract, that would put our portion for a 6 month season at 4-5 mill for two of the six.

• Mr. Smith 1980 says:

ESPN was reporting that he's due around $2 MM for the rest of the season, if I'm not mistaken.

• Dave L says:

Go down to player values

For 2013 it says $4.5M im thinking 1/3 of the season left. So I get $1.5M

I am learning to decipher Baseball reference slowly.

10. Chris D says:

Why is there no talk about a catcher? Lobaton and Molina aren't going anywhere, but in a spot where injury can be a problem, leaning on Gimminez is shaky at best. Beyond that, Jesus Flores is the next best on the roster. That's a bit thin.,

11. Dave L says:

The Morse thing makes perfect sense because as I said earlier in this thread thats our only hole a RH DH.

But the Orioles want him too and they have a bigger purse and are more willing to give away prospects i bet.

• Lane Meyer says:

Maybe making the O's or other AL teams pay more for Morse is Friedman's plan.

• Ken says:

Morse for Joyce?

• Mr. Smith 1980 says:

I hope not, I still feel that Joyce can be a serious power threat before all is said and done. His swing is conducive to power and I think he's only a few small things away from making the move from serviceable player to a 30 HR/.275 BA hitter.

• Geoff Peterson says:

One of those things being a hitting coach that can actually help lefty power hitters.

12. Mr. Smith 1980 says:

My guess would be along the lines of those saying that Roberts was pulled to come back up to replace a player on the 25 that may be dealt. If a team playing as well as the Rays is making a move i would assume it would have some substance so as to put them over the top to win the division, not just be a cusp player for a prospect... but what do I know.

13. Mr. Smith 1980 says:

Could Longo be hurt? Was that the source of his crying/frustration last night?

• Ken says:

Interesting observation.

• Rob says:

If Longo was hurt would they have left him in during the 9th last night to play third in a 5-0 game? That would have been after Roberts was pulled, right? So presumably, if Roberts was replacing a guy going to the DL they would have known during the game the guy was going to the DL, so if it's Longo, why keep playing him?

• Mr. Smith 1980 says:

You're probably right, but...

If it's still the plantar fasciitis he would have faced no chance of making the injury worse by finishing the game. Last night while he was hustling around to score he looked to be laboring more than usual, that plus the uncharacteristic emotional breakdown in the dugout just have me thinking something is up.

• Rob says:

What was the emotional breakdown - was at the game so I didn't see the broadcast. Did something happen in the dugout?

• Beth says:

He just put his head in his hands and looked sad. I didn't see any crying - did you guys see actual tears?

• Mr. Smith 1980 says:

No actual tears (a la Price the night before), but he put his head down and wiped his eyes about 50 times, as if he were trying to stop from crying, then when he did look up he had red eyes, either from crying or rubbing the living s$#& out of them... he was visibly upset either way.

14. Dave L says:

Hey I reported the Rays/Orioles interest before Dan Connoly heheheh

Snaggletoooth Gammoms said it on MLB Network, actually he broke it thats where I got it from.

Actually I did it at 1:05 but Corks clock is wacky and said it was 12:05 but I still beat him.

15. Geoff Peterson says:

It's interesting to see that Trumbo was in play to the Pirates for a minor league starting prospect. Not only do the Rays have more potential arms, but Trumbo would be an even better move than Morse

16. Mr. Smith 1980 says:

Uh-oh Matty to the DL is not good, and virtually locks Hernandez in to keeping his place in the rotation for the duration.

• Dave L says:

They are just resting him, as the always do with their under 29 starters.

Hellickson will get a sore whatever later too.

Notice our good starters always get 'hurt' when we play the NL??????

• Ken says:

I tend to agree. Fausto's performance last night made the decision bit easier. We can now go to a 4 man rotation with all starters getting normal rest until 8/17. Hopefully Matt just needs some rest. Cobber will return soon too so I'm not panicking yet.
        We face 3 lefties thru Sunday so Roberts coming up might mean Longo DH's those games, giving him some rest.
        All the trade banter today could have sent a message to Matty J much like the 4 man rotation did to Fausto.
        At a minimum, it was an entertaining afternoon for a retiree like me, standing pat maybe the best move the Rays could have made.

• Mr. Smith 1980 says:

It does no good to rest young arms for the postseason if the postseason ends up only being a one game playoff.
        They want all hands on deck right now so that they can ensure an AL East title.