Maybe the Rays need to have a class for their minor leaguers in the Spring on the dangers of social media and the dangers of saying stupid things.

First it was Josh Sale who was suspended indefinitely for “conduct detrimental to the organization” (i.e. he embarrassed the Rays by being an idiot on Facebook). Now it is Tim Beckham’s turn.

Beckham made an amazing slide yesterday, avoiding the catcher to score a run. It was so good that ESPN included the play among their Top Ten plays of Friday. Then after the game, he took to Twitter and made a joke about midgets

6-1-2013 2-42-53 PM

Of course, most people now recognize the term “midget” as offensive. And even if Beckham doesn’t know that he certainly used the word with offensive intent.

And this is the point where a bunch of people of normal height will start yelling about how “THIS PC SHIT IS GETTING OUT OF HAND RAWWRRR!” which is the worst kind of ignorance and far more damaging than what Beckham wrote.

It doesn’t matter if you don’t think the term is offensive. If little people are hurt by the term (they are), then that should be good enough. And their opinion is the only one that matters.

1. Lane Meyer says:

He should have just said "Like Dustin Pedroia at a porta potty".

Forget me, forget you, forget what 'Little people THINK is offensive, if a descriptive word is in the dictionary....Is it offensive?....
    Webster's Dictionary : Midget noun "a person of unusual small size but normal proportions adjective..small..(that's English language)
    Had many minority athletes call me "White Boy" on an athletic field.....was I offended...No...I didn't give them the satisfaction of offending me....
    I knew what color I was and couldn't change it...ignorant..maybe.for somebody

• Lane Meyer says:

They probably were calling you out more because you were on the girl's Field Hockey field than because of your color Donny Doom

• Don says:

There you go demeaning the "girls" field hockey team, you mean they are worse than Midgets....isn't that IGNORANT Cork?

• Lane Meyer says:

Sorry Donny, nothing quite that deep. I was just responding to your need to tell everyone that you at one point in your life were actually ON an athletic field. This contradicts all of your previous ignorance of how sports actually work.

3. Ian P says:

Wait. You know that's a quote from "The Naked Gun" right? Actually Leslie Nielsen says the line "I'll have to stay on my toes like a midget at a urinal."

• Cork Gaines says:

The joke has been around in one form or another long before The Naked Gun. But even if that was the case, it wouldn't make it ok. Movies quite often make jokes that people probably shouldnt go around saying themselves. The "All we got on this team are a bunch of jews, spics, n****ers, pansies, and a booger-eatin' moron!" quote from Bad News Bears comes to mind.

• Allen says:

I agree with you, Cork, but I am highly offended when you or any others write on this blog using profanity or vulger terms.

4. Andy says:

Good for you, Cork!!! What most people don't get (e.g., Don) is that words or terms used to tease, bully and/or oppress are most often ones that, by extension, are considered. As members of the dominant social/ruling group, unenlightened 'white guys' are not offended by the term. Thus, this point is meaningless in this discussion.

• Don says:

Whether a person is offended or not is "meaningless"....it is the persons intent in using a word like "white" boy....it is not meant to be a compliment (for the ruling class)....it is the same as the N word only reverse (racial) discrimination.....problem is....it doesn't work and that point is the problem
      Tall people are commented on/to all the time, should we start a rally against such discrimination

• Lane Meyer says:

I prefer my 6'10" brother-in-law's response to the repeated questions of "how's the weather up there?". He usually spits downward and responds "It's raining".

• Ted Sheckler says:

Then your 6'10" brother-in-law is a jerk.

• Lane Meyer says:

Not really, he just get tired of some moron coming up to him everywhere he goes and making a stupid comment as if they were the first and funniest person to ever make a joke about his height. If it's not that it's "How tall are you?". I wonder if they would ask a little person "How short are you?". Some of these rocket scientists would do that too I suppose.

• Ted Sheckler says:

Nobody tries to offend a guy who is 6'10" for fear of offending a guy who is 6'10". Your brother-in-law spits on people who are just social idiots. That is, of course, if he actually does spit on people.

• Lane Meyer says:

You'd be surprised how many people go out of their way to try to offend him. The world is full of pinheads. And I never said he spit on them, I said he spits downward. It gets the point across about the stupidity of their comment.

5. Dave L says:

I would say we have made progress here. This is the longest RI Tim Beckham thread that hasn't drawn a Pavlovian - Buster Posey response.

6. Michael says:

Lol how about that time Obama made a joke about the Special Olympics on the Jay Leno show. I mean, I like making fun of retards as much as the next guy, but where was all the moral indignation about that? Nonody gave a crap and that was way worse than what Beckham said.

• Jason says:

And the winner for the dumbest and most completely irrelevant comment ever? MICHAEL!

Congrats! Your prize awaits you at the bottom of a cliff, you idiot.

7. Allen says:

I just hope Beckham continues to improve as a professional baseball player and is a star with Tampa Bay at the major league level along with a host of other Rays!

Midgets are small, tall guys are tall, white guys are white, black guys are Black...we got all that resolved.....Next Post....Please...

• Allen says:

Fat guys are fat, skinny guys are skinny, dumb guys are dumb, smart guys are smart, old guys are old, young guys are young, etc.

Let's talk about baseball!!!

• Craig says:

That's so offensive. The only thing that matters is that I'm offended. You should be punished with a fine and/or suspension if jail time is off the table.

• Allen says:

I agree, Craig. Now, maybe instead of all our writing about what is offensive, we can write about the Rays awesome offense, what must be everyone's biggest baseball positive surprise for the year. The biggest negative surprise? Rays pitching. Can you imagine what fun this team will bring to the Bay area if that hitting holds up, and pitching returns to its potential? That's exciting!

9. Drew says:

THIS PC SHIT IS GETTING OUT OF HAND RAWWRRR!

10. Allen says:

The End

11. julie says:

Thank you so much, Cork!
    a proud mother of a beautiful boy with dwarfism,
    Julie

12. Carole says:

Thanks all of you who stand by not using the "M" word....I being a person with dwarfism have to confront the world daily with stares, comments questions and idiots who think it is OK to ask questions like How tall are you? laugh and say "Look at the midget"! The word is totally uncool to use since it causes pain and heartache in a little person's heart each time it is used in a derogatory way. I have no problem being a dwarf. It is when society makes an issue out of it...that is where I need to Let Go and Let God....thank you