Alex CobbAlex Cobb is not the most talented pitcher on the Rays. Heck, he might not even be among the top ten most talented pitchers in the organization. But you can make a strong case that he is their best pitcher. That’s why this report is so devastating.

Cobb may not pitch again this season.

When Cobb was hit in the head with a line drive earlier this week, he suffered just a mild concussion, and may have avoided a more serious concussion because the blow was cushioned by his ear. However, according to Marc Topkin, Cobb also suffered “ear issues.”

When asked about Cobb’s condition, Joe Maddon said Cobb is “getting better,” but that he thinks “it’s going to be a long process.”

And when asked if Cobb would pitch again this season, Maddon was not very optimistic…

Asked if Cobb would return this season, Maddon said, “I don’t know that. I don’t want to say one way or the other. We haven’t even discussed that. I think it’s important that he just gets to the next day and see how he feels and just stay together with the medical people. I would never create conjecture on that one way or the other. I really don’t know.”

What is really scary about this is that the Rays are typically overly optimistic when they talk about injuries. And there is nothing optimistic about what Maddon said.

1. Michael says:

it’s just political concussion speech

teams can’t give the impression that they are anxious to rush a head injury

they might as well have said they aren’t sure if he’ll ever play again

he will make a start before the ASG

• Beth says:

I dunno – seems to me that a political speech is “it will take weeks.” Saying he may not be back this season suggests ongoing concerns.

I feel awful for him and the team. It’s not like this is a guy who makes millions and has already secured his financial future.

2. Gus says:

I have to assume he’s got something more serious involved. The Rays season is starting to unravel pretty quickly here; 5th place is looking more likely than 1st place. The lack of urgency in which they treated spring training and the slow start combined with some bad breaks to the pitching staff (plus Helickson and Moore’s inability to get anybody out lately) means they have no cushion here. Need to win, and win now.

That said, if Myers can play, the line-up looks better than it has in years.

• JJ says:

Totally agree Gus. With the uncertain status of Price and Cobb our pitching won’t overpower other clubs as it has in the past. Furthermore, with Shields gone we no longer have a true clubhouse leader.
      Somebody on the club has to fit into that role. Right now the Rays team chemistry looks flat. We need a Gomes, C. Floyd type of ballplayer to challenge the young kids.

• Sarah says:

Chemistry is garbage. When teams win, they find a way to like eachother. When they lose, they don’t.

• JJ says:

Got to disagree with you on that point. Having played on enough sports teams in my day and having worked for years at a Mental Health organization I’ve always bought in to the importance of psychic chemistry. I hope that we’re both somewhat right here, and do agree that dose of winning streaks would solve a bunch of woes. Go Rays.

• Sarah says:

First, define chemistry. Does this mean that players tolerate eachother? Are fond of eachother? Socialize together? High-five eachother? How would you measure this?

Once you’ve defined and measured it, show me a study that correlates this “chemistry” with actual productivity, whether that is in better personal statistics, or in higher winning percentage.

When you can supply those data I’ll listen.

• JJ says:

I’ll pass on supplying the dogmatic data you request and yield to your immovable opinion. Are you Don’s daughter?

• Gus says:

Can I submit the 2012 Red Sox of evidence that chemistry matters. Anybody who has ever worked in a medium to large workplace knows that chemistry matters. While it is true that in good times, chemistry is usually good, it does not correlate to bad times being bad chemistry. I think past-Rays teams had an excellent ability to withstand body blows and come back. This team, not yet. Would be nice to get Price off of his bicycle and back on the mound. He’s the leader of that pitching staff and his poor performance and then his absence are showing up.

• Mr. Smith 1980 says:

Baseball can in many ways be considered an individual sport, so, in many ways, chemistry matters less than in other team sports.

Basketball, for instance, is a sport in which team chemistry is paramount. The only real chemistry needed on the diamond is between pitchers and catchers and even that is tempered by calls from the dugout.

Suffice to say, chemistry makes going to work more fun, and can affect one’s mood and improve morale, but I’m not sure that in the case of baseball it has much of a bearing on winning.

The case in Boston was more of a mutiny than a lack of chemistry between coworkers.

• Sarah says:

How can data be dogmatic? Dogma has to do with ideology, or belief; the whole point of data is that it is evidence-based.