The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
Royals 5, RAYS 3 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Willlllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll Myers. Remember when some kept saying “the Rays won’t call Myers up because there is nowhere for him to play?” And we were all “dudes, if Myers is ready, you find a place for him to play!” Well, the Rays will find a place for him to play and worry about what to do with everybody else later….Alex Torres. Another 1.2 innings of great pitching from Torres who struck out 4 of the 5 batters he faced on Saturday. In 16 innings this season, he has yet to allow a run and has struck out 23 of the 54 batters he has faced with just 3 walks…Luke Scott. Wolverine is in the midst of one of his brief hot streaks with 6 hits in his last 4 games. We better enjoy it while it last.
THE BAD: DH Evan Longoria. Evan Longoria spent the weekend as the Rays’ DH as he is battling plantar fasciitis in his foot. The Rays think he will be well enough to play in the field tomorrow. But let’s just say we are not getting our hopes up.
THE TELLING: Jake Odorizzi has been added as the 26th player for the Tuesday double-header. He will start one game with Chris Archer starting the other…Alex Cobb has been released from the hospital. He was placed on the 7-day concussion DL. Josh Lueke was called up to replace him on the roster…Wil Myers is expected to be in the lineup most days, but look for him to bat 6th or 7th initially until he gets his feet wet…Wil Myers is the first Rays player to wear no. 9 since way back in 2012 (Elliot Johnson)…Chris Giminez returned from the DL for the triple-A Durham Bulls. This is important because is basically the Rays’ third-string catcher…The Rays are now 36-33, 5 games behind the Red Sox and still in 4th place.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Here’s a link where you can listen to andrew Friedman and Joe Maddon discuss the promotion of Wil Myers. [RaysRadio]
- Just as were starting to get excited about an accelerated return for David Price, now it has been slowed down again because of soreness in his arm. We should know better than to get our hopes up. This link also has updates on Brandon Gomes and Juan Carlos Oviedo who are both progressing in their rehabs. [TampaBay.com]
- Luke Scott credits Derek Shelton for his recent hot streak. [TBO.com]
- Here is a sad story about Shelley Duncan. His mom passed away after a long struggle with cancer, however Duncan’s dad would not let him come home until the funeral. [HeraldSun.com]
- On Flag Day (Friday; also the birthday of the Army), Army Rangers rappelled from the top of The Trop. [Big League Stew]
- It’s a good thing Fernando Rodney doesn’t shoot his arrow in Oklahoma (thanks, T.J.). [Indian Country Today]
- Josh Freeman is not playing with enough urgency? [JoeBucsFan]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
DURHAM 5, Indy 2. JD Martin struck out 6 and walked 1 in 7 innings. He allowed 2 runs on 4 hits…Brandon Guyer was 1-3 with his 6th home run and a walk…Leslie Anderson went 1-3 with a walk and is hitting .312.
MONTGOMERY 5, Jacksonville 2. Enny Romero tossed 5 shutout innings with 5 strikeouts…Mikie Mahtook went 1-5 with his 15th stolen base.
CHARLOTTE. no game scheduled
BOWLING GREEN 8, Lansing 0. Taylor Guerrieri struck out 7 and walked just 1 in 5 shutout innings…Tyler Goeddel hit his 4th home run and Andrew Toles stole his 41st base. He has been caught just 5 times and leads the ML in stolen bases.