6-26-2013 1-09-45 PMThe GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.

Blue Jays 3, RAYS 0 (boxscore)

THE GOOD: Roberto Hernandez. It wasn’t great. And the two home runs were terrible pitches. The first was a spinning slider. And the second was a hanging change. But that one came on pitch no. 118 in the 9th inning, which almost seems like it shouldn’t count. Take that out and Not-Fausto pitched 8 innings and allowed just 2 runs. That’s his job, and he did it. He just happened to be matched up against a guy that was nearly unhittable.

THE BAD: R.A. Dickey. The Rays have a funny way of occasionally making mediocre pitchers look like Cy Young winners. They can also apparently make former Cy Young winners look like themselves.The Rays managed just 2 hits (neither hit hard) and a walk.

THE TELLING: David Price struck out 8 and walked just 1 in 5 scoreless innings. He also gave up just 2 hits. I’d say it is a pretty good bet that we will see Price back on the mound for the Rays on Monday or Tuesday….Reid Brignac has signed a minor league deal with the RockiesScott Kazmir took a no-hitter into the 7th inning before giving up his only hit. But his bullpen blew the save…The Rays are now 41-38, 5.5 games behind the Red Sox and 1 game ahead of the Blue Jays.

THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA

• Minor leaguers Taylor Guerrieri and Enny Romero have been selected to pitch in the MLB All-Star weekend Futures Game.
  • Sean Rodriguez was getting ready to catch in the 9th inning if Jose Molina had to come out of the game. [TBO.com]
  • Charlotte manager Brady Williams says David Price is ready to return. [TampaBay.com]
  • Wil Myers will spend today’s off-day looking for an apartment and buying clothes. [TampaBay.com]
  • Hawk Harrelson had another on-air meltdown. This one is about two minutes of him just mumbling to himself. [BI Sports]
  • Chris Davis is still mashing and he is ahead of Babe Ruth’s pace for 60 home runs. [BI Sports]

DOWN ON THE FARM

DURHAM 6, Lehigh Valley 5. Shelley Duncan hit his 8th home run since being demoted…Brandon Guyer went 4-5 with 2 doubles to raise his average to .289.

MONTGOMERY 4, Chattanooga 3. Enny Romero allowed just 1 unearned run in 6 innings with 2 strikeouts and 1 walk.

CHARLOTTE 3, Bradenton 2. David Price struck out 8 and walked just 1 in 5 scoreless innings. He also gave up just 2 hits….

BOWLING GREEN 12, South Bend 2. Thomas Coyle went 4-5 with his 6th home run. He drove in 5….Tyler Goeddel went 3-5 with a double.

Staten Island 7, HUDSON VALLEY 3. Austin Priutt tossed 5 shutout innings, striking out 5 and giving up just 2 hits and no walks.

Elizabethton 5, PRINCETON 4.

Tags

1. Gus says:

I hope the Rays keep an eye on Myers as he gets settled in Tampa Bay. Last time we had a big country slugger from North Carolina come our way (Josh hamilton), he ended up buying a house way out in east Bradenton and losing his way (and almost his life) at a tattoo parlor in Palmetto. Set him up close by and keep him under wraps and away from the BJ Upton party circuit in South Tampa.

• KT says:

I was actually thinking about that party circuit. With BJ gone, and Longo (supposedly) not partying much these days after the birth of his child, I wonder if the Rays party scene has died down at all? I remember Carl Crawford commenting after he left that he couldn't believe how much the Rays partied.

2. Scot says:

I have to admit, I like to listen to White Sox TV because Hawk and his buddy actually don't talk that much and when Hawk does, he is a complete hoot. I recommend it the next time the Sox are playing the Rays.

3. Scot says:

Big thanks goes out the locals.

A few weeks back, I, a SoCal fan, asked on this website about ideas for best "bang-for-the-buck" seats at the Trop. The two major suggestions where:
    * meet up with a season ticket holder and be very nice,
    * purchase the cheapest seats available and move down.
    In short, I tried both. However, let me describe my experience.

During the O's, Red Sox, Royals homestand, I sat in the 100, 200 and 300 levels. Indeed, when possible I sat in virtually every unique section of stadium. The worst seat was in the 200 level, far down the left hand side. I had purchased it as part of the Italian Heritage promotion. The hat, a TB hat in blue where the letters are green, white and red, was worth it, however the seats were not. Fortunately, I simply stayed in the 200 level and moved to some better seats. 200 is quite good as long as one is close to home plate. I quickly realized why people sit further back in the 200 section - so that after a play on the field, they can look up at the TVs to watch it, or a replay, something that the best seats don't have.

300 level seats were actually quite good as long as you are not blocked by a bar or sitting next to someone who oozes into your seat and sitting near home plate - at least within the infield. Lots of interesting action and since the Rays use a slew of shifts, there were ample opportunities to see how it worked - much better than what I see on TV. I did try the outfield, but for the best deal, near home plate is better and one can sit quite a ways up and still have a clear view of the play.

Now for the 100 level. Since the Rays open the stadium between 1.5 and 2 hours before the game, I enjoyed watching batting practice, going to the Ted Williams museum and finding the best food in the house - which is the pasta stir fry plate on the level between the 100 and 200 level. A bar which sells a better selection of beers is in the same area. So before the first game of the Red Sox series, I was sitting behind the Rays dugout talking to some folks. Eventually one of the season ticket holder says, "my friend is out of town, why don't you sit with me for the game." Her tickets were only a few rows behind the Rays dugout. We talked and watch the 14 inning marathon and by the end she went out to her car and gave me several more tickets for the rest of the homestand. (Some of the games were being used by her colleague.) Not bad and I tried as I may, I was unable to reciprocate.

Anyway, by the end of the homestand (which didn't go the way I had thought or hoped), I figured out which 100 level aisles and seats to avoid and which seats are never taken. (I did jump down during one game, but the usher who knew I had, was very pleasant about it and did not throw me out. Later I moved around quite a bit for the 10-1 blow out by the Royals. Saw myself sitting in the stands on TV - only from the neck down.

Overall, the experience was very positive. Compared to Dodger or Angel stadium, I felt I was well treated, and not thought of as a steer head. A game experience at the Trop was closer to one I find at our local California League baseball games. Fans are happy to be there, the ushers are nice, food is fair to inedible. Beer is overpriced. Of course the quality of play is better, at the Trop than in the minor leagues. (Visualize more Luke Scotts in the outfield, Brendan Harris at second base.)

• Sarah says:

Glad you enjoyed your visit. i do give credit to the stadium staff who are always very friendly and helpful, far more so then I've ever found in places like Baltimore or NY. I'm not sure it makes up for the fact that Tropicana field has the charm of someone's half-finished basement, but it does help.

• Allen says:

Sarah, my experience at the Trop has always been enjoyable. What do you think could be done to make it feel more like a finished basement? My only other experience in a MLB stadium was Atlanta Fulton County Stadium. Yuk!

• Sarah says:

Not sure they can do much more with existing design. I think they've made great strides to brighten and clean the place up compared to what it was like in 2005/6. Newer domed stadiums are designed to let in more light, feel less oppressive. Note that the architects, HOK, don't even include the Trop on their list of projects -- I think they are embarrassed.

4. Wade says:

There's a reason why malls, homes, etc...hire a design team to figure out a way to let in light. If the trop had glass block walls around the back of the outfield so that one could see outside during the game, it would make a huge difference.

• Rob says:

The Marlins' stadium does a great job of this. When the dome is closed, it still feels like you are outside because of all of the natural light coming through the huge windows.

5. Scot says:

Just curious Don, how do you know this?

6. Don's the dumbest person on the Internet which leads me to believe he's a Red Sox fan says:

What in that comment led you to believe that KT was saying Carl partied with them? KT simply said he commented about how much they partied. I too remember this comment from CC, and it was said in a way that made me think he didn't agree with said partying.
    You have the reading comprehension of an eight year old and that's being kind.