The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
Orioles 10, RAYS 7 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Ben Zobrist. Zorilla hit a no-doubt-about-it home run, his first home run in 32 games…Sam Fuld. Super Sammy also hit a home run, his first since 2011…Chris Davis. The thorn in the side of the Rays earlier this season went 0-12 in this series.
THE BAD: Matt Moore. Moore’s ERA has gone from 2.18 to 3.78 in his last 7 innings pitched after giving up 9 runs (8 earned) on Sunday. He has now allowed 15 runs in his last 2 starts after allowing 15 runs in his first 11 starts. His velocity was down a bit on Sunday, but not overly so, averaging 91.7 mph on his fastball. That wasn’t even his lowest average in a game this season and most games have been around 92.5. The big problem appeared to be his curve/slider which did not have the snap that it usually has. Let’s hope that is a mechanical issue and not one where something is causing him to be afraid to throw that pitch the right way…Desmond Jennings. Flash now has 7 stolen bases and has been caught 6 times. He has also been picked off 3 times.
THE TELLING: David Price will throw his second bullpen session today. He will eventually need 3 rehab starts and is targeting a late June or early July return…The Happy Heckler made what we think was his first appearance of the season on Sunday…Luke Scott played first base late in the game. It was his first appearance at first base this season and only his eighth appearance in the field since signing with the Rays…The Rays are 34-28, 4 games behind the Red Sox and in 4th place. The Rays have been in 4th place for 45 out of the last 50 days…The Rays still have a 52.4% chance of making the playoffs according to CoolStandings.com.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Rich Thompson, who played 23 games with the Rays in 2012, may be out for the season with the Durham Bulls according to Watching Durham Bulls Baseball. [WDBB]
- In 2011, the Rays were the only team to shift more than 200 times. This season, 14 teams are on pace to shift more than 200 times. [ESPN Insider]
- Here’s a full list of the players the Rays drafted. Apparently this is the part where I am supposed to tell you that they are all awesome and future Hall of Famers. [TampaBay.com]
- Davis Williams has put together a list of the Rays draft picks that are on Twitter, if you would like to follow them through the minors. Here is the list. [Draftees on Twitter]
- That $100 million that Tampa thinks they can come up with for a new Rays stadium? Not so fast. [TBO.com]
- Alex Cobb is calling his changeup “The Thing” but is open to other suggestions. [TampaBay.com]
- Further evidence that the MLB draft is a joke after about the 20th round is that the Rays used a 31st round pick on the son of Dave Martinez even though he said his son is definitely going to college. Plenty of players threaten that and some even believe it before changing their minds. But this is the son of an employee. If ever there was reason to believe a kid was unsignable, you’d think this was it. In other words, the Rays wasted a pick to do something nice for Dave’s family. [MLB.com]
- The Phillies drafted Carl Crawford’s cousin in the first round of the draft. [Fox Sports]
- Maybe Pete Rose is better off not being in the Hall of Fame. [BI Sports]
- Some mysterious hieroglyphics showed up on the warning track of the Rays’ double-A ballclub. [Biscuit Crumbs]
- The Bucs made a huge trade. [JoeBucsFan]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
Louisville 5, DURHAM 1. Alex Colome allowed 3 runs in 6 innings, striking out 4 and walking 2…Wil Myers went 1-3 with a walk and his 7th stolen base.
Huntsville 7, MONTGOMERY 1. Mikie Mahtook went 2-3 with a walk and robbed a home run with a leaping catch at the wall.
Palm Beach @ CHARLOTTE. postponed
BOWLING GREEN 9, Lake County 1. Taylor Guerrieri did not allow a run for the 3rd time in his last 5 starts, going 6 innings, striking out 2 and walking 2. His ERA is now 2.76…Thomas Coyle (4) and Justin O’Conner (3) homered for the Hot Rods.