James ShieldsThe GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.

RAYS (boxscore)

THE GOOD:  Matt Joyce. Matty must have heard me talking to some friends before the game about how similar his numbers were to Justin Ruggiano so far this season. Because he came out in the 1st inning and hit his 5th home run. What was great about the at bat was that he twice laid off the Shields changeup before getting a good fastball to drive.

THE BAD: Cruising Cobb. Cobb was one out from having a shutout through six innings and a 2-0 lead heading to the 7th. But then Cobb gave up 6 straight hits, the Royals took a 4-2 lead. The Royals would add 3 more in the 7th and it was game over…Good Shields. We’ve seen this a few times before. Shields worked 7 innings, gave up 2 runs, including a solo home run. And he retired the last 13 batters he faced. It was like every James Shields start with the Rays, ever…Running Wild. The Rays are supposed to beat teams with their aggressive base running. Instead, other teams are running all over the Rays. Opponents have now stolen 26 bases against the Rays. That is the most stolen bases allowed in baseball. And the Rays are just 16-24 stealing bases themselves…The New Arrow Celebration. Last season the Rays had the scissor fingers or whatever that was called. This year, they have adopted Fernando Rodney’s bow-and-arrow routine following basehits. And while it is fun when the Rays are winning, maybe it should be kept away when the Rays are trailing by 5 in the 8th inning. Matt Joyce picked up a hit last night and then shot his arrow and he couldn’t have looked less thrilled (see GIF below).

THE TELLING: Both Luke Scott and Yunel Escobar were back in the lineup, marking the first time this season that the Rays had all their pieces in place…The Rays have now homered in 15 straight games, tying the franchise record…The Rays are now 12-14, 6 games behind the Red Sox…

THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA

• Major League Baseball is investigating the exchange between umpire Tom Hallion and David Price during and after Sunday’s game. [MLB.com]
  • The 5-year-old son of Bulls manager Charlie Montoyo had another heart surgery. It sounds like it went well which is great news. [The Herald-Sun]
  • David Price received the “Bullet Rogan Award” from the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum as the top pitcher in baseball in 2012. He then posed with a lifesize statue of Satchel Paige. [Twitter]
  • Here is how the price of a beer at The Trop compares to other stadiums. [BI Sports]
  • Warren Sapp will be inducted into the Bucs’ Ring of Honor this season. [JoeBucsFan]

DOWN ON THE FARM

DURHAM 7, Syracuse 1. Chris Archer struck out 7 and walked 2 in 6 shutout innings…Wil Myers hit his 3rd home run…Leslie Anderson went 3-5 with a double to raise his average to .318.

MONTGOMERY. no game scheduled

Lakeland 7, CHARLOTTE 5. Drew Vettleson was 0-5 with 3 strikeouts. He is now hitting .191…Richie Shaffer had 2 hits.

BOWLING GREEN 8, Peoria 0. Jeff Ames allowed just 1 hit and no runs in 5 innings. He struck out 5. He now has a 1.80 ERA in 5 starts…C Luke Maile had 3 hits including a 3-run home run, his first home run of the year.

Tags

Shields was Shields allow a few runs, shut down rest of way, Allow his team a chance to win, Was proud of my man EJ, two hits +walk, run over the Rays on the Bases, too bad Maddon didn’t know how to use you, but now on a winner…
    Now I want to see WD on the START against the Rays, “He’s only a reliever” you know….

• Mr. Smith 1980 says:

Yeah, E. Johnson was a major loss… and Nixon was a great president… and Obama is good at his job… and…

• KT says:

Great point Don! I want to see WD against the Rays as well. Because he’s in a funk right now and just gave up 8 runs and couldn’t get through 5 innings the other night. Oh well.

2. dan r says:

anyone else think big game saw a “tell” with cobb, and passed along to kc hitters? it sure looked to me like they knew what was coming. .

3. Mr. Smith 1980 says:

I have to give you credit Don. I was certain that the very first comment on The Hangover would have been you using that 1 game snapshot of Scott to show that Kepp is money better spent. Kudos on not showing your butt as per usual.

• Don says:

Well hold your Credit..because here its goes, Did you Watch Scott Swing last night, against a pitcher he knows very Well….YOu tell Me…Coach..
      You think he is going to be a big help to the Rays….MY prediction. NOWAY….With Kepp. the Rays are NOT in the Hole they are in today,
      but the Rays saved $$$, lose their team but save money….. welcome to Raysville it makes you Happy…….Not me…

• Mr. Smith 1980 says:

How would Kepp’s .200 BA and matching OBP benefit the Rays any more than the “talent” they’ve used in his stead (Escobar, Duncan, Johnson).

You keep beating this drum, but never seem to acknowledge the fact that Escobar is a far better defender and has very similar career hitting numbers (a little lower BA but a higher OBP).

If you’re telling me you wanted the Rays to retain the services of Jeff Keppinger as a DH you’re just being contradictory. Scott’s career numbers compare quite nicely, having a better OBP and oh…. 85 more HR’s

If you say you’d play Kepp at second then you have to consider Roberts’ career numbers are only slightly lower than his, but without the inflated price tag.

So, what would you have Kepp be doing were he on the Rays roster with his $4 mil salary?

4. Mike says:

Are you intentionally being misleading about beer prices? The Rays actually have one of the most expensive beers in baseball. You list the sizes of the beers, but then use a misleading graph to try and make it seem like a 12 oz beer for $5.00 at the Rays game is one of the cheapest beers in baseball. (and where do you get one of those at the trop anyway?). The second most expensive beer on your list (Miami) is actually a better deal than you can get at the trop, where a 16 oz can of Boggs will run you $8. I don’t drink the drafts because I question how often they clean the tubes, but I think they are the same price.

The Rays are still one of the best deals in baseball when you factor in everything, but they do not have good beer prices.

• Cork Gaines says:

No, I am not trying to mislead anybody. You missed the point of the chart. It is not “who has the best deal?” It is “what is the minimum amount I would have to pay for a beer?” If you are at The Trop, it is not like you can just leave and go to Miami because they have a better deal. There is no comparison shopping once you are at the ballpark.

• Mike says:

If there is no comparison between different ballparks, why do you compare prices at all of the ballparks and say that the Indians and Diamondbacks “have the cheapest beers.” True, you can’t leave the ballpark once you are there to get a beer somewhere else, but if someone was making a decision about where to go see a game they might want to know who had the best deal on beer, or hot dogs, or parking, or whatever, and the only point of a chart like yours that I can think of is to help such a person make their choice. Seems kind of lazy not to at least have a second graph showing price per oz so its easy to make an apples to apples comparison.

Also, I know that sometimes the Rays will have those 12 oz Budweiser American flag cans on sale for $5, but those are rare occasions, certainly not every game. I am at the trop a lot, and I really don’t think you can get a beer for $5 there absent some promotion. Where did you get these numbers?

• Mr. Smith 1980 says:

Maybe its kind of lazy of you to say that someone else should create a graphic… go make it yourself.

This chart has been created and displayed for the aforementioned reasons, if you want more, or better, data then go create a graphic to support it.

• Mike says:

If I was being paid to write for a publication like BI I definitely would have before I published the story.

• Cork Gaines says:

I’m not sure how I can make this any clearer. These are two different questions. “Cheapest beer” (you know, the actual amount you have to spend) and “best deal” (something that means nothing). The number of people that are going to pick which Major League baseball team to go watch because of the price/ounce of beer is about ZERO. People in NY won’t even make that decision and those stadiums are about 15 miles apart. If I want one beer at stadium A it doesnt matter what the “deal” is. I still have to pay a certain price.

If I didnt answer the question you wanted, well, I’m sorry. But this is a different question. One that has more real-world relevance than yours. It just does.

And the data was provided by the teams. The Rays say they sell $5 beers and you confirm that they do. So thanks.

• Gus says:

If the Rays had cheap beer, they’d draw better (and sell more beer). It is one of the many negative customer things (death by a thousand paper cuts) that has haunted the franchise since its inception, and one of the things the Sternberg ownership has never corrected.

I’d also note that I’ve seen lots of other franchises advertising discounts for weeknight games. Do the Rays do website Wed. or two for Tuesday anymore? I can’t recall seeing those.

5. Drew says:

Right below the graphic: “Data via Team Marketing Report and is based on information reported by each team during a survey”

6. OriginalTom says:

I think I would put Escobar in the Bad for trying to stretch a single into a double when down by 6 runs in the 9th.

• Mr. Smith 1980 says:

You don’t think that was a “desperate times/desperate measures” moment?

• OriginalTom says:

No, There is little to be gained by being at 2nd as opposed to 1st on that play. It is not like he was the tying rum.

7. Dave L says:

I watched the Royals feed of the game with no sound in a bar in Lauderdale and I noticed something pretty cool I dont know if it was picked up on.

After Joyce smacked the homer Longo goes to the plate. Before he gets there and is doing his warmup before stepping in to the batters box he looks up and flashes an almost imperceptable smile and nod to Sheilds as he must have been acknowledging a similar gesture from James.

It was all over in an instant and the game was on. I am sure Sheilds had similar mutual signs of respect from other former teammates throughout the day but this one was nice after the silly misunderstanding of a few weeks ago.

These are 2 supremely confident atheletes competing at the highest level but also 2 classy sportsmen. It was a nice moment. They are both good guys.