THE GOOD: Matt Joyce. Matty must have heard me talking to some friends before the game about how similar his numbers were to Justin Ruggiano so far this season. Because he came out in the 1st inning and hit his 5th home run. What was great about the at bat was that he twice laid off the Shields changeup before getting a good fastball to drive.
THE BAD: Cruising Cobb. Cobb was one out from having a shutout through six innings and a 2-0 lead heading to the 7th. But then Cobb gave up 6 straight hits, the Royals took a 4-2 lead. The Royals would add 3 more in the 7th and it was game over…Good Shields. We’ve seen this a few times before. Shields worked 7 innings, gave up 2 runs, including a solo home run. And he retired the last 13 batters he faced. It was like every James Shields start with the Rays, ever…Running Wild. The Rays are supposed to beat teams with their aggressive base running. Instead, other teams are running all over the Rays. Opponents have now stolen 26 bases against the Rays. That is the most stolen bases allowed in baseball. And the Rays are just 16-24 stealing bases themselves…The New Arrow Celebration. Last season the Rays had the scissor fingers or whatever that was called. This year, they have adopted Fernando Rodney’s bow-and-arrow routine following basehits. And while it is fun when the Rays are winning, maybe it should be kept away when the Rays are trailing by 5 in the 8th inning. Matt Joyce picked up a hit last night and then shot his arrow and he couldn’t have looked less thrilled (see GIF below).
THE TELLING: Both Luke Scott and Yunel Escobar were back in the lineup, marking the first time this season that the Rays had all their pieces in place…The Rays have now homered in 15 straight games, tying the franchise record…The Rays are now 12-14, 6 games behind the Red Sox…
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Major League Baseball is investigating the exchange between umpire Tom Hallion and David Price during and after Sunday’s game. [MLB.com]
- The 5-year-old son of Bulls manager Charlie Montoyo had another heart surgery. It sounds like it went well which is great news. [The Herald-Sun]
- David Price received the “Bullet Rogan Award” from the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum as the top pitcher in baseball in 2012. He then posed with a lifesize statue of Satchel Paige. [Twitter]
- Here is how the price of a beer at The Trop compares to other stadiums. [BI Sports]
- Warren Sapp will be inducted into the Bucs’ Ring of Honor this season. [JoeBucsFan]
DURHAM 7, Syracuse 1. Chris Archer struck out 7 and walked 2 in 6 shutout innings…Wil Myers hit his 3rd home run…Leslie Anderson went 3-5 with a double to raise his average to .318.
MONTGOMERY. no game scheduled
Lakeland 7, CHARLOTTE 5. Drew Vettleson was 0-5 with 3 strikeouts. He is now hitting .191…Richie Shaffer had 2 hits.
BOWLING GREEN 8, Peoria 0. Jeff Ames allowed just 1 hit and no runs in 5 innings. He struck out 5. He now has a 1.80 ERA in 5 starts…C Luke Maile had 3 hits including a 3-run home run, his first home run of the year.