USATSI_7263998_154511044_lowresThe GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.

Jays 4, RAYS 3 (boxscore)

No GBT today.

THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA

• The Rays have a 38.2% chance of making the playoffs. [CoolStandings]
  • The Rays have shuffled their rotation. [TampaBay.com]
  • Evan Longoria said his legs felt bad early in the season, but that he is feeling better now. [TampaBay.com]
  • The Rays are one of several teams showing interest in recently-released reliever Jordan Norberto, who is rehabbing an elbow injury. [MLBTR]
  • The Toronto Star wonders if ex-Blue Jays players like Kelly Johnson and Yunel Escobar benefit from fans booing them. [Toronto Star]
  • Will Leitch says everything we compliment Joe Maddon for, people were complimenting Tony LaRussa for the same things in the 80s. Sure, both managers think outside the box. But it seems to me that is where the similarities stop. [SportsOnEarth]
  • ESPN is laying off hundred of employees. Why? This is why. [BI Sports]
  • The Spyder’s Web takes on Yunel Escobar’s home run celebration. [YouTube]

DOWN ON THE FARM

Norfolk 4, DURHAM 3.

MONTGOMERY. no game scheduled.

Clearwater 3, CHARLOTTE 2.

Great Lakes @ BOWLING GREEN. double-header postponed

Tags

1. Rick says:

Games like last night are the ones we think about in September and October. If we lose out on a playoff spot by 2 or 3 games, these losses will really hurt. These guys really need to step it up and stop saying its only one game. One game can make all the difference between making the playoffs and golfing in october.

Put that Picture (swing) in you nightmares...Rays had one last night....
    Just Think Baustista was in the Rays system....let go of course....
    Dream of Baustista, Josh Hamilton, Carl Crawford in Rays outfield...Oh that would be way too expensive..forget World Series victories

• s says:

Don, you love to play the “what if” game. Here’s my version.

Picture Josh Hamilton if he had been given a long term deal here instead of being cut. He would have been a millionaire crackhead!!!!! It took hitting rock (pun intended) for him to wake up.

Picture re-signing Carl Crawford batting .260 with little to no speed, and contributing nothing, even on defense, while earning $40 million over those two years.

Picture BJ Upton finally getting a long term deal, and completely laying down and batting .160 while making $15 million a year.

• Don says:

Your Mixed up, Dave L. is the "We're really going to miss BJ upton" man, I've never said a good thing about his hitting ability in my
        life, ...CC is a LIFETIME .300 hitter, the only one the Rays will ever have.... Run? He can out run ANYONE on Rays even his failed replacement Jennings......Hamilton couldn't get Crack in Texas?, yet became the BEST hitter in Baseball even though given away by genius Boy Friedman for Min. $25,000
        You didn't get one thing right Son.... but keep trying...

• Dave L says:

I never once said that we should keep BJ Upton after last year. I repeatedly said he was getting overpaid. Go back and check

We dont have you on the record on Josh, or Joe the Baptist as you weren't around then.

But you were here in 2011 saying we should have overpaid Crawford long term including $14M + for a lost year of 2011 and this year saying we should have matched overpaid Kepp who is still the worst player in baseball with a -1.4 WAR.

You hated BJ even when he was producing for us I willl give you that. Failed 2012 replacement Jennings at a 3.3 WAR a for half a milllion. vs CC @ $14M with a 0.5 WAR

If they ran the Rays one year the way you suggest, we would be doing a Marlins style fire sale within 2 years.

Don you are a masochist for repeatedly showing how truly ignorant you are.

• s says:

Career stats
          OBP .322 vs .333
          SLG .404 vs .442
          OPS .726 vs .775
          $1,000,000 vs $20,000,000

Yeah Don, you’re right what a failed replacement. I agree that CC has had a great career, but there’s no way in hell that anyone with an IQ over 80 can say that DJ has been a failure replacement especially considering he makes 1/20th of CC’s salary. Sure, CC is a better hitter, but for a leadoff batter, OBP is just as important.

Besides, I’m pretty sure DJ plays centerfield, so let’s compare his numbers this to the player he actually replaced. Hmmm, who was that again?

Hamilton would have NEVER done anything at Tampa Bay, except smoked crack and smack. He woke up AFTER getting cut. Him getting cut saved his career and most likely his life.

• Don says:

I was the FIRST one to say the Rays would never miss BJ upton when they moved Jennings to CF where he belonged all along,, a .260 hitter replacing a .240 strike out artist.....I had to listen for a year that it didn't make any difference if they lost CC they had a better replacement in the minor leagues which of course never could happened...what Jennings earns has nothing to do with his performance which will remain below Carl Crawford for many years (forever) but hopefully will surpass Upton
            Friedman couldn't handle Hamilton So he GAVE hime away.....good business but expensive for the Rays..

• Dave L says:

Don why are you such a coward that can never use any facts to back up your absurd statements. We refute everything you say with facts but you just make more dumb predictions. You double down on bad choices and ignore the financial realities.

I hope someone else in your house pays the bills because you are clueless when it comes to simple math.

• OriginalTom says:

This is meant to be a reply to Don "I had to listen for a year that it didn't make any differnce if they lost CC they had a better replacement in the minor leagues"

Who said this? I never saw anyone write that on this site? or heard that on the radio or TV. Did anyone actually think Jennings production would match CC's? Was there anything in his minor league record to suggest he would? I think most people expected he would be an excellent defender and baserunner and hit around .270/340/.420. He has fallen slighly short of expectations with the bat but otherwie has matched expectations.

"What Jennings earns has nothing to do with his performance which will remain below Carl Crawford for many years (forever).

Well that is true unless you include 2011 and 2012. Are you seriously suggesting CC was better than Crawford either year. Oh yeah and this year even with Crawford's higher BA, It is Jennings who has score and driven in more runs.

Look, I like Crawford. He was one of the true joys to watch from 2001-2010 and is currently the greatest Ray ever but there is no way he was worth what the Sox paid him. Crawford admits the contract was a disaster.

3. Dave L says:

I think its a testament to Rays management and fans that most all ex-Rays from the Post DRay era don't get booed and heckled at the Trop. Even the mediocrities are remembered fondly and always get a smattering of respectful cheers. There are random hecklers everywhere of course. Every team has its Don fans.

Part of it is from the fact that no one was ever overpaid for a long term deal with one slight exception of course.

And you don't hear ex-players hating on thier time here. All seem to feel they were treated fairly.

• Beth says:

The only one I would have ever been tempted to boo was Pat Burrell. But I don't think he ever came back here with the Giants.

I thought the Jays fans were especially obnoxious when a pitch was aimed at Escobar's head and they cheered.

• Dave L says:

Yes that was my 'one slight exception' Beth.

And Kelly Johnson? What could that guy have done to make anyone boo him? Jeez.

If Kaz continues to revive his career and gets another start at the Trop one day he will get a very warm welcome, I for one am rooting for him to do it.

• Gus says:

A good topic here. My list of boo-ees (people I'd boo) from the post D-Rays era:

1. Troy Percival -- classless exit quiting the team, huge ego that refused to pitch anywhere but closer, likely steroid user who was stealing money in TB. Also, ripped the fans at one point I think. Just a disagreeable person. (The fact that Maddon loved him made it all the worse)

2. Pat Burrell -- signed as DH, then whined about DH, shut it down until he got cut and could get back to the NL, likely steroid user.

3. Elliot Johnson -- I know, he played catch in the parking lot and was a funny guy. But being a great guy doesn't excuse you from having the worst fundamentals in MLB -- couldn't bunt, throw or field. A guy with limited athletic tools should have mastered his craft. He drove me insane purely as a player (again JoMa's mancrush was an aggravating factor here).

4. Josh Hamilton -- set the franchise back 5 years with his selfish drug use. He apologized and I think he's doing best as he can, but he was a first class jerk whose action personally put me through a lot more lossess than I might otherwise have suffered. Probably win the 2008 world series if he stays off of heroin. He gets the boo.

• Rob says:

How about Elijah Dukes?

• Beth says:

If we start adding folks who pretty much left baseball after leaving the Rays then the list gets longer -- what about Willy Aybar?

4. Scot says:

Greetings Rays fans,

A completely different request: I will be visiting the TB area for my one and only visit of Florida in mid-June. The objective is to attend Rays games during the Orioles-Red Sox-Royals homestand. I'm seeking the ultimate TB Rays fan experience. I don't mind spending money (e.g., sitting behind home plate), but I don't want to be ripped off. I'm also happy to sit high above and see the action at angles one rarely sees on TV. So can you folks either recommend best locations and best ways to purchase tickets (I've had great results with scalpers on game day at Mariners games). If this is not an appropriate place for such a discussion, can you recommend a website/forum might serve me best.

Thanks.

• Rob says:

Unless you want to sit behind home plate or near a dugout, buy the cheapest ticket on game day and sit wherever you want.

• Bill says:

That's low life and theft. I hope when you do that you get booted out of the Trop. Anyone who buys a cheap ticket and then tries to seat jump to higher priced ticket should not call themselves a Rays fan and certainly should never complain about any signings, trades, etc.

Theft, plain and simple.

• Rob says:

I'm actually a season ticket holder and was only making a point. Bit of an overreaction.

• Gus says:

Go to the top season ticket holders parking lot (west of 16th street) and make friends. You'll be able to do well there (must stay on the west sidewalk or the cops will sometimes shoo you away if too close to the home plate box office).

• Scot says:

Which parking lot - north by 1st or south by 3rd?

• Gus says:

Easiest way to describe it: go to the home plate box office (which is on 16th street), go due west towards the setting sun -- that lot immediately across 16th street is where the best season ticket holders (excluding VIPs) park in the most #s. That is your spot for very good tickets from season ticket holders.

• Dave L says:

Listen to him thats excellent advice.

• Beth says:

I'd recommend Stubhub. You can often find good tickets for below list price, even when you add on the fees.

One of my favorite spots to sit is press level, sections 205, 6, 7 and maybe 8 -- you are directly above the home plate area so the view is good, and the seats are actually padded. Bathrooms on that level are cleaner and concessions less crowded because you are sharing the level with the luxury boxes.