The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
RAYS 5, Jays 4 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: David Price. That was the best Price has looked this season. And once again, the velocity on both his fastball (95) and changeup (85) were up. That is two of his last three starts and a sign that he has finally turned the corner…Fernando Rodney. Speaking of looking better. Everything about Rodney looked better. From the plantain in the dugout to the way he walked with his head up to the 100 mph fastballs (twice!), that was the Rodney we knew last season. Let’s hope he sticks around. Because that mopey Rodney is not fun. Not fun at all.
THE BAD: Another Injury. Jose Molina took a foul tip off the knee and later had to be removed from the game. It doesn’t sound serious, but it reminds just how thin the Rays are at catcher. They have a third catcher in Chris Gimenez. But after trading two catchers recently, there is nothing beyond that.
THE TELLING: The Rays are now 16-18, 4.5 games behind the Red Sox, Yankees and Orioles…A we mentioned in the Tailgating post last night, the next themed road trip will be camo…Wil Myers was pulled from last night’s Durham Bulls game with a stomach bug…
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- “Mistakes and bad judgments will happen, and that’s OK. But what can’t happen is a situation in which the fans at home are better suited to make the call than the umpires on the field.” [BI Sports]
- This Cy vs Cy graphic is pretty awesome. [Big League Stew]
- “Fernando Rodney, Craig Kimbrel and the Fickle Nature of Baseball Closers” [BigLeadSports]
- The DH to the NL is now inevitable. [BI Sports]
- More and more people are calling for umpires to be held accountable. One problem is that umpires are punished, but the umpires’ union will not allow MLB to announce punishments because the umpires think it will undermine their authority. [NYPost]
- One solution: Add 15 more umpires. [BI Sports]
- The lost “scouting report” on Delmon Young made me chuckle. [Baseball Nation]
- I’m surprised there is even a debate about Ronde Barber’s hall of fame credentials. [JoeBucsFan]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
DURHAM 4, Syracuse 2. Josh Lueke struck out 3 in 2 more scoreless innings. He has now pitched 19 innings and allowed just 2 earned runs with 29 strikeouts and 5 walks…Wil Myers was 0-1 before being pulled with an upset stomach…Rich Thompson had a pair of hits and his 9th stolen base.
Mississippi 5, MONTGOMERY 0. Mikie Mahtook went 0-3 with a walk.
Bradenton 4, CHARLOTTE 3. Drew Vettleson was 3-4 with a pair of doubles and 2 RBI…Richie Shaffer went 1-4.
BOWLING GREEN 5, West Michigan 1. Thomas Coyle had a single, walk, and stole his 14th base.