The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
RAYS 5, Red Sox 3 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Matt Moore. Moore is the first 7-game winner in the AL and the only 7-0 pitcher in baseball. He struggled in the first inning, needing 30 pitches to get through the inning that included a David Ortiz home run. But after that big blast, he retired 12 straight and only allowed one more hit all night…Catching Breaks. Luke Scott tried to check his swing and instead hit an RBI-double. Later in the 4th inning, Matt Joyce hit an infield pop-up that may have hit something, landed near first base, rolled back towards home, and stayed fair for an 80-foot 2-run single…Bullpen. Outside of Jake McGee, the bullpen is finally dealing. The group has not allowed an earned run in their last 16.2 innings. Fernando Rodney picked up his 7th save by striking out the side in the 9th. And in his last 4 appearances he has 9 strikeouts and allowed just 1 hit…Jose Molina. Big fella is good for one of these games about twice a year. He was hitless in his 22 previous at bats entering the game, but collected 3 hits last night and drove in a pair of runs.
THE BAD: David Ortiz. Just retire already. His first inning home run was his 27th career home run at The Trop. That is the most ever for a visiting player. And quite frankly I’m sick of seeing it happen…Another Blown Call. [see the GIF below] It didn’t impact the game, but how in the world did the umpire miss that? Seriously, I have no idea.
THE TELLING: Desmond Jennings played his first game since Thursday…The Rays have now picked up 5.5 games on the Red Sox in the last 14 days and are just 1.5 games out of third place. The Rays still trail the Yankees by 4.5 games…According to CoolStandings.com, the Rays now have a 42.7% chance of making the playoffs…David Price has been suffering from allergy issues that have affected his vision…The Rays re-signed reliever Cory Wade, who pitched well with Durham in 2011. He has been assigned to triple-A.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- The Rays’ uniform did not do well in this popularity contest. [ESPN]
- It’s our old friend Jenny Dell and Dickie V. [Instagram]
- Jenny Dell also spoke with Jonny Gomes about his return to The Trop. [NESN]
- Eric Karabell believes Loney will hit just .250 over the course of the rest of the season. [ESPN]
- And here is David Schoenfield comparing James Loney to Eric Hosmer. [ESPN]
- Joe Maddon calls James Loney’s passiveness “an outstanding strength” and that he is just “very misconstrued.” [Boston Herald]
- Scott Kazmir looked really good in his last start. [CBSSports]
- Apparently NESN has a “Kettle One Moment” and Evan Longoria earned it with his Player of the Week award. [NESN]
- ESPN’s “SportsCenter” will soon look very different. [BI Sports]
- Doubting the Bucs. [JoeBucsFan]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
DURHAM 7, Rochester 4. Leslie Anderson hit his 6th home run…Wil Myers was 1-5 with a pair of strikeouts. He is hitting .261 with 4 home runs and 47 strikeouts in 35 games…Shelley Duncan went 2-4 with a double.
Birmingham 5, MONTGOMERY 2. Mikie Mahtook had a double and a walk in 4 plate appearances. He’s hitting .240.
CHARLOTTE 4, Daytona 2. Felipe rivero struck out 7, walked 1, and gave up 2 runs in 7 innings…Drew Vettleson went 2-4, raising his average to .248…Richie Shaffer had 3 hits including a double and a stolen base, his 2nd.
BOWLING GREEN 3, Fort Wayne 2. Reinaldo Lopez struck out 2 and allowed just 2 hits and no walks in 5 shutout innings. His ERA is now 0.65 in 27.2 innings…Andrew Toles stole 2 more bases and now has 20 on the season.
Run Big Fella, RUN!