The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
RAYS 5, Marlins 2 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Alex Colome. Colome clearly had some first-game jitters. After striking out the first batter, he gave up two walks and a single, followed by a passed ball that scored a run. But after that, he settled down and retired 15 of the final 19 batters he faced, with 6 strikeouts and no walks. And boy was his stuff nasty. His fastball was as advertised, reaching 98 and getting a solid 5 swing-and-misses (that’s good for a fastball). And the changeup was much better than advertised. He got 9 swing-and-misses on that pitch. When the Rays do finally decide to trade Jeremy Hellickson, it feels like Colome’s upside is just as high as Chris Archer…Power Trip. With Matt Joyce’s home run, the Rays are now one of six teams to have 3 players with at least 9 home runs.
THE BAD: Jose Molina. CATCH. THE. DAMN. BALL. He was only charged with 2 passed balls, but there could have been at least two more. And usually Molina’s problem is blocking pitches. These were on pitches that should have been caught. Since the start of the 2012 season, Molina has 12 passed balls. The rest of the Rays catchers have 2.
THE TELLING: The Rays announced after the game that Chris Archer will start Saturday’s game. He will be the 8th starting pitcher used by the Rays this season. That matches the number of starting pitchers used last season. And one of those in 2012 was Cesar Ramos, a reliever who was only used as an emergency starter. The last time the Rays used more than 8 starting pitchers in 1 season was 2008 (9)…The Rays have gained 5 games on the Yankees in 5 days…The Rays are now 29-24, just 3 games behind the Red Sox, and 1 game behind the Yankees for second place in the East and the lead in the Wild Card.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- You can now bid on the game-used camo jerseys. But if you scroll through the current bids, it is amazing to see that Josh Lueke’s jersey has more bids than Jeremy Hellickson and that Jake Odorizzi’s jersey has more bids than David Price’s jersey. [MLB.com]
- Some think that the Channelside entertainment complex is being given to Lightning owner Jeffrey Vinik despite other worthy bids. [Shadow of the Stadium]
- Cesar Ramos’ longtime girlfriend recently completed chemotherapy treatment. [TampaBay.com]
- Does Josh Freeman deserve a long-term extension? [JoeBucsFan]
- Shelley Duncan hit a long home run for the Bulls last night…
DOWN ON THE FARM…
DURHAM 7, Buffalo 2. JD Martin allowed 2 runs on 9 hits and 2 walks in 6 innings. He struck out 4…Brandon Guyer led off and went 2-4 with a walk…Wil Myers was 1-2 with 2 walks and 1 strikeout…Leslie Anderson hit his 7th home run.
MONTGOMERY 6, Mississippi 2. Kevin Kiermaier went 3-5 and stole his 9th base.
CHARLOTTE @ Palm Beach. postponed
Lake County 6, BOWLING GREEN 1. Andrew Toles had 2 hits and his 33rd stolen base. That leads the Midwest League. And his .328 batting average is third in the league.