USATSI_7252226_154511044_lowresThe GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.

Blue Jays 6, RAYS (boxscore)

THE GOOD: Roberto Hernandez. For the most part he pitched well. His one blemish was when he gave up a home run to Adam Lind, who had not hit a home run all season. And to make matters worse, Hernandez was actually up 0-2 in the at bat. That can’t happen. Outside of that, Hernandez struck out 7 in 6 innings showing once again that New Fausto is much more of a strikeout pitcher than Old Fausto. It was his 4th start with 7 strikeouts this season. He only had 2 such starts in his last full season…Rain. This is a really good ball club for six innings. Which means the rain in Florida will come in handy. Now we just have to figure out how to remove the roof of the Trop.

THE BAD: Another Blown Call. Why is this so hard? This was an easy call. Even if the umpire missed the hand crossing the plate (I don’t know how he could), he could just look down and see the clear-as-day swipe mark across the plate. That run would have come in handy later in the game…The Bullpen. This bullpen sucks. Plain and simple. If you follow the game graph during the game, you know that the Rays had more than a 90% chance of winning this game in the 6th inning. But then Jake McGee happened (again) and Kyle Farnsworth happened and Joel Peralta happened. Joe Maddon said after the game that it will be one of the best bullpens in baseball by the end of the year. But the Rays need the bullpen to be better before then. Because at the end of the season, it will be too late…No longer early. With the loss, the Rays will now have to go 81-49 in the final 130 games to reach 95 wins. Sure, you might not need 95 wins to get the Wild Card. But the point is that it has stopped being early. Every game counts. And the Rays have missed the playoffs by less.

THE TELLING: Joe Maddon has now been ejected twice this season. He joins Blue Jays manager John Gibbons as the only players or coaches to be ejected more than once this season. They both have two…The Rays have now lost 13 games in which they held a lead. If they had protected all of those leads, they would be 27-5. Instead, the Rays are now 14-18, 6.5 games behind the Red Sox.

THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA

• After being hit in the head with a line drive off the bat of Desmond Jennings, JA Happ was taken to a local hospital. There hasn’t been an update to his condition.
  • This latest line drive to strike a pitcher once again raises the issue of pitcher safety. While some are calling for helmets, that is not the direction MLB is heading. Rather, MLB is already testing protective liners that would be worn underneath the cap. [Newsday]
  • Are the Bucs a 10-win team? [JoeBucsFan]

DOWN ON THE FARM

Syracuse 3, DURHAM 2. Alex Torres struck out 7 and walked 2 in 6 shutout innings…Leslie Anderson hit his 5th home run…Wil Myers was 1-4 and is hitting .274…Tim Beckham committed his 8th error of the season.

Mississippi 19, MONTGOMERY 2. Jake Thompson allowed 8 runs on 9 hits and 2 walks in just 4 innings…Mikie Mahtook went 1-4 with a double.

CHARLOTTE 5, Brevard County 3. Richie Shaffer had 2 singles and 2 strikeouts in 5 at bats.

BOWLING GREEN. no game scheduled

Tags

1. chris says:

I appreciate Maddon having confidence in his players but how many more times can you run McGee out there throwing only fastballs. These are major league hitters--if they know a straight fastball is coming they are going to hit it hard.

• CC says:

Magee and Farnsworth suck. Actually Magee tried to throw a change up, I guess on the home run. It was 86mph straight as an arrow and belt high. Just like most of his fastballs. No movement and terrible location.Joes loyalty is killing this teams chances at the playoffs. Again this loss is on Maddon.Magee and Farnsworth should be the last options not the first. And once again the F***ING pitch count BS with Hernandez. Best game hes pitched this year and cruising thru the lineup and Joe pulls him. WTF JOE. His arm is not going to fall off. I know you were kicked out but everybody knows you are still calling the shots. I have an idea. Joe why don't you call in sick tonight, don't show up with your metrics sheets and let Dave Martinez and Hickey handle the pitching and lets see how they do.

• Beth says:

Last night Martinez and Hickey DID handle the pitching.

• Don says:

Martinez makes NO decisions, they are called in to Him, and I'll tell you about respect Peralta told him (Martinez) to go Sit down and leave him alone (in the game), Relief pitcher was 1/2 to the mound and had to go back, Peralta told Martinez off in Spanish I'm sure.... Rays Fiasco at its finest

• Rob says:

I have to agree with Don here. That episode on the mound between Martinez and Peralta was strange and could be indicative of something broader we aren't privy to.

• CC says:

Joe was making the calls. Just because he was not in the dugout does not mean he wasnt making the decisions.

2. Rob says:

This is not a playoff team and will be lucky to finish third in their division. They really missed an opportunity last year when they pitched out of their minds - that kind of performance only comes around once in a blue moon.

I've accepted this will be a .500 club this season - if I set my expectations any higher I'll end up blowing a gasket at some point.

Last year before the trade deadline, I kept saying they should dangle Rodney out there when his value was at the highest in his career and will never be any higher. Maybe they did and nobody bit, but for all of his accomplishments last year, it didn't help us get into the playoffs and now he couldn't get us a second tier prospect. He's a mess and I predict Peralta takes his job by the All-Star break.

McGee needs a break - his numbers are staggering and I've never seen anyone give up the booty like he has and still have a job. He's not just bad, he is so bad it's surreal.

• Gus says:

Give Rodney a catcher who can recieve his pitches and a SS who can field, and he will be fine. The least of this team's worries. Last night, Peralta got yacked just like Rodney, and Rodney pitched out of trouble in the 8th on Monday.

Gus' plan for the Rays:

Call up Archer or Ordozzi. Best starter up. McGee sent down to get himself straightened out in less pressureized situations.
      7th Inning: Hernandez-sinkers, unhittable first time through the line-up; very hittable 3rd time through looks like a nasty reliever to me
      8th-9th: stay the course

Catcher: Platoon Giminez and Lobaton; DFA Molina

Added OF-1B-DH: Anderson. He's not Clemente, but he can occasionaly play RF enough to get another bat in the lineup until Myers is ready. DFA Fuld

2b: Roberts-KJ platoon
      SS: Zobrist everyday

OF Maddon crazy mix-n-match with Jennings, Joyce, Johnson, Anderson, S-Rod (especially if Loney becomes everyday 1B) etc.

A little lefty-heavy, but that is getting your best guys on the field.

• Rob says:

Peralta has been much more consistent than Rodney to this point and they are throwing to the same catcher. Molina also caught the majority of Rodney's historic year last year. I think his year last season was an absolute anomaly and he is really the 4+ ERA guy with control issues that Detroit once had.

3. Gus says:

Team is panicking. Not a good game for Maddon to get thrown out of.

The pitching staff top to bottom (with the exception of Moore and Cobb) has been pretty much a disaster.

Molina's defense again an issue. Why on earth is he playing, much less back to back nights? He can't bathe in the light of a great pitching staff this year; if his framing and presence were credited last year, then his inability to handle a fastball should be in his column this year.

4. S says:

TRADE PRICE NOW at or before the trade deadline. despite his record, he still has gigantic value. we are not a playoff team, yet i'm sure the miracle comeback will be brought up over and over.

• Rob says:

Would take Profar for Price straight up. As important as pitching is, I think an elite player is more valuable than an elite pitcher over the long term, while good pitchers are more valuable than good players.

• Mr. Smith 1980 says:

They will not give up Profar. Period.

• Rob says:

Eh, everyone is for sale for the right price (no pun intended) and under the right circumstances. Besides, this was just an example - point is I think it would be worth trading Price now for a top prospect.

5. Mr. Smith 1980 says:

If I close my eyes I don't see Peralta and Farnsworth and McGee, I see Fossum and Camp and Stokes.... ugh.

What a nightmare!

• Rob says:

Yes it is. Scary thought is that Shawn Camp would actually be an improvement over McGee right now. He has a paltry 8.03 ERA versus McGee's 11.25 (in about the same number of innings).

6. Dave L says:

I am not giving up in May. I have rooted for a whole lot more crappy teams than this one.

There is no cavalry of players that are going to ride in to rescue the 2013 Rays. No one in the minors is an obvious choice to move up except some arms for the pen. You can't fire the whole bullpen.

The sad part is we are actually scoring runs.

Maybe Fausto is getting going. Thats 2 out of 3 quality starts.

• Mr. Smith 1980 says:

I think Lueke deserves a call-up. ERA of 1.06 in 17 innings, and 5 BB to 26 K's.

Meanwhile, Wil Myers already has 40 K's against minor league pitchers, which is less than encouraging.

• Ken says:

Agree on both counts. Starters going only 5 or 6 innings every night will take it's toll on the relief corp. Might be time to employ the revolving door with Lueke, Gomes, Torres and McGee. Fausto might be an effective reliever as well if Archer or Ordorizzi are really ready for the show.

7. Ken says:

In 2008 the Rays record after the May 7th game with the Jays (they lost) was 17-16. I remember being elated and very hopeful. I also remember most of my buddies being skeptical, waiting for the other shoe to fall. Fast forward to this year. We're a mere 3.5 games behind the 08 pace and most of the commentary here is even more skeptical than 08.
    I know that winning brings higher expectations, and I also know I'm very disappointed and puzzled by the Rays performance to date. But I haven't yet been hit on the head by Chicken Little's scat.
    Besides most arm chair GM's, Maddon seems to be panicking the most. His way isn't working right now. He needs to regroup, reassess, take some advise, look at what help the farm has to offer and lead this team.
    We win the last two games with better defense, better umpiring and less sabermetrics. Shoulda, coulda, woulda statements about trading, demoting, and otherwise chastising players won't make this team any better.
    Maybe if more than 10,000 fans showed up the players might get inspired. I wonder how many posters have been to games this year. If I were a Rays player I'd be talking about trading your over-critical, fair weather asses.

• Rob says:

Go to about 25-30 games a year with a partial season ticket package and some add-ons. Criticizing players may not make the team better, but not criticizing them doesn't make them better either and it at least provides a topic for debate and conversation.

• Ken says:

Glad to hear you're a supporter. I'm all for constructive observation based in reality. However, many posters are better off playing Fantasy BB rather than paying attention to the Rays. We are a small market team with a pitiful fan base that cannot trade what stars we have willy-nilly like George Steinbrenner whenever they under perform or piss them off.
        My point is simply that trading Price, Rodney, McGee, Escobar et al will not solve the teams problems and slamming them won't make them any better. Posters can vent all they want and I can call them on it if I want. All's fair when your team is tanking.

• Mr. Smith 1980 says:

I hear you loud and clear Ken.
      I've been trying to talk some of the posters here off the ledge for what seems like weeks already.
      The discourse here at RI has been greatly trivialized by several over-zealous, "can't admit I'm still learning how this game works", troll-like posters.

I hold myself partially responsible for this lowering of intelligent conversation by continually engaging our pet moron, Don. I have vowed to myself, and now to you (the reasonable, knowledgable posters (collectively)), to refrain from chasing him into the gutter any longer.

People/fans need to know that when they come to RI they can expect reasonable, rational, friendly banter that contains more fact than opinion and where the opinions that are given are given with some semblance of knowledge about the appropriate topic.