Playing A Little Pepper

This is the Rays fourth trip to Coors Field, with their last one coming in 2009. The are 2-7 all-time in Colorado…James Loney, who is not in the starting lineup tonight, is 5 plate appearances shy of having enough to qualify for the batting leaderboard. His .375 average would be second in all MLB, behind only Carlos Santana (.395)…Matt Joyce, who is also not in the lineup tonight, has homered in 3 straight games. The Rays have only had 2 streaks longer (Carlos Pena 6, Gabe Kapler 4).

Game Graph

[Will be up at game time]

Source: FanGraphs

Lineup…

1. Flash Jennings, CF
  2. Ryan Roberts, 2B
  3. Ben Zobrist, RF
  4. Evan Longoria, 3B
  5. Sean Rodriguez, 1B
  6. Kelly Johnson, LF
  7. Yunel Escobar, SS
  8. Jose Lobaton, C
  9. Matt Moore, SP

Righty vs lefty thing carried a little too far there Maddon….Joyce still looking for an everyday ML Player career, and loney still looking for a job/contract next year…I wouldn’t be a happy camper if I was either…..burning that contract money but Friedman will take care of them….ohyea
    Moore probably gets Job done anyway….Our ACE nowadays….

• Jason says:

I doubt Loney is too upset. Maddon’s controlling of who he hits against has gotten him a .375 BA. His payday will be MUCH higher if he’s around there vs playing every day and ending up with a .270 BA.

• Don says:

True, if another bidder is satisfied with a parttime player, Many teams don’t want or at least put a whole lot less value on a player who is only going to hit against certain pitchers, Hes a $3mil utility player at best…..which Joyce is fastly becoming in this “system”

• Dave L says:

Precisely. Does anyone seriously believe if Loney played everyday against every pitcher in every situation like Longo or Zobrist.he would be batting anywhere near .375

The Rays saw something in Loney which they believed he could be more productive if the select the pitchers against he has best outcomes. It really goes beyond simple R vs L.

He obviously wont stay there but he is batting with more confidence and success than at any time in his career. No rational person could spin that into a negative. All all Rays fans are happy with that situation.

2. Mr. Smith 1980 says:

Loney has reverse splits this year, and as a result should have been playing. I wasn’t thrilled with the choice to start SRod in his place (but I’m sure JoMa won’t lose any sleep over me being unhappy).

Coors field and the surrounding landscape are absolutely gorgeous. Every time the Rays head out there or I catch a random Rockies game on TV I’m reminded of how beautiful (and massive) the rockies really are.

• OriginalTom says:

Loney has 10 Ab’s against lefties this year, I would not put much stock in his reverse splits. That is an extremely small sample size.

• Donnie Doom III says:

A microscopic sample to be sure, but he’s the hottest bat in the AL over the last week or so, and as such (in conjunction with his reverse splits) deserved the opportunity to start v. a lefty.

3. Donnie Doom III says:

Hey Grandpa Don,

Didn’t you want to get on here and talk about how great Brignac looked and how the Rays are so dumb for letting him go…
    Just think, they could have a lineup of Pena, Keppinger, Brignac, Elliot Johnson… just imagine, grandpa!! If only the Rays were as smart as you!

• Don says:

You don’t read this blog much, there ain’t NOBODY that was more critical of Brignac, than me… Back to Jason Bay… you know what I’m talking about?.If the Rays management were as smart as me they would have won at Least one WS maybe Two the last 5 years, but Stuie would not be up $300,000 mil in his Investment…His team would NOW be worth much more than that and he would have NO attendance problems
      BUt as you say son your learning… they aren’t