Playing A Little Pepper

Last night’s loss was the 12th time the Rays have lost a game this season in which they held a lead. If the Rays had not blown any leads this season, they would be 26-5…The Rays’ bullpen ERA is 4.80, worst in the AL…The Rays have lost 2 games in the past week in which they scored 7 or more runs. They were undefeated in 2011 and 2012 when scoring 7+ runs…The Rays are just the 6th team since 1916 to have their starting pitchers work 5+ innings in each of their first 31 games. The 1981 Pirates (45) are the only club to have a streak longer than 33 games to start the season.

Game Graph

[Will be up at game time]

Source: FanGraphs

Lineup…

1. Flash Jennings, CF
  2. Ryan Roberts, 2B
  3. Ben Zobrist, RF
  4. Evan Longoria, 3B
  5. Luke Scott, DH
  6. Sean Rodriguez, LF
  7. James Loney, 1B
  8. Jose Molina, C
  9. Yunel Escobar, SS
  10. Livan Hernandez, SP

1. Ken says:

Livan Hernandez? Did Fausto change his name again?

2. Dave L says:

Kelly is only 2 for 10 against Happ but both were homers, Sean is 1 for 3 with 2 walks.

Red Hot Luke getting a start against a lefty.

Noname allows 6 runs again, Maddon may change his name for him

• Mr. Smith 1980 says:

Oh yeah, Hernandez allowed 6 runs? Interesting. I watched a different game; one where Hernandez allowed 1 run… moron.

4. Allen Montgomery says:

Well, guys, you were all wrong about Noname Hernandez. He pitched well and did not get a deserved win. Nowadays when the bullpen takes over, its a disaster. Our pitchers need a strong bullpen. They pitch 5-6-7 innings and that’s about their limit.

I said before that this team’s problem is pitching. Let’s hope McGee finds a remedy for his problem, or he might as well call it a season up here in Tampa. Let him go down to Port Charlotte and work it out. Some of you skilled observers, tell us what his problem is. Is he just trying to blow pitches by hitters and failing to have anything on his fastball? Is he predictable? What’s his problem?

And there’s Farnsworth. Is he washed up? Perhaps injuries and age have taken their toll.

Add to this woeful bullpen David Price and Hellickson. What’s with these two guys? Hellickson can hardly get through an inning. He doesn’t seem to have command of his pitches.

Without some help for the pen and unless these starters turn their game around, we’re going to be in for too much of what has happened over the past two days. No lead will be enough. Just wait until the Yandees and Red Sox take their turns against our pitchers—-and Baltimore.

I’m worried.

5. Andy says:

Some of you may not like what I’m gonna say. Heck, I don’t like it either, but gotta speak the truth – at least as I see it.

Given the team’s unique financial constraints, they play w/very little margin for error. They’ve achieved amazingly well for the last few years w/this model, but things look bleak for this year. Why?

First, of the starting pitchers, only Moore & Cobb are exceeding expectations. In the ‘pen, only 1 I can think of who’s performing beyond his expected role & that’s Jamey Wright – just barely. And, of the starters in the field, only Loney has risen above what team thot they’d get from him. Reserves are mostly a joke, tho Rodriguez is doing better than usual. That’s precious few to try to balance out the rest & stay above that margin.

I don’t think any starting pitchers are performing as expected. Of the relievers, I’d say Peralta, Gomes & maybe Ramos are doing as expected. This leaves 6 pitchers of both groups falling below what the team has needed them to do, some far below (Price, Hellboy, McGee, Farnsworth)!!

Lastly, I would say only Longo & Zobrist are doing as expected. Scott’s better than I thot he’d be, but his DL time more than offsets that. That leaves a sh!tload of guys weighing the team down both on O (pick 1!) & D (Escobar, Molina) & even on basepaths!!! If things were gonna get better, you’d expect that to be happening by now, right? Bottom line is we may be lucky to break even this year – & I don’t mean financially!!! :-( It’s a sobering thought, I know. Sorry, but I warned you.

• Don says:

Besides all that is everything else allright…I mean financially and everything?

• Mr. Smith 1980 says:

Andy, you make some valid observations, but let’s look at it as optimists:

All of those horrible players that are weighing the team down and pitchers who are underachieving by a bunch, and the Rays are still only 6.5 games back of a Boston team that is overachieving on the same scale as the Rays are underachieving.

Let’s say the Rays go 8-2 over the next 10 games and Boston goes 5-5. The Rays would be just a few games out of first in the middle of May, that doesn’t sound quite so bad now does it?

The sky has yet to fall, although if I look hard enough I may be seeing a few cracks…

• Andy says:

Smithy (hope you don’t mind the casual name), I hear ya, man!! Usually, I’m more of an optimist, so I agree that’s the way to be. I just shared some thots that I’d recently considered to see if there was any agreement or dissenting opinions. In this case, a big part of me was hoping to be quite wrong!! At season end, I hope that I am, for sure!!!! :-)

Have no idea who you are, Smithy, but I generally enjoy your comments! Keep up the good words ;-)