Calculating the average cost of attending a sporting event for all 122 teams in the four major North American sports leagues (NBA, NHL, NFL, MLB) the Tampa Bay Rays ranked second overall, trailing just the Arizona Diamondbacks. [The 25 Cheapest Teams To Watch In Person]

1. Mr. Smith 1980 says:

I’m surprised each year to find that NHL games/events aren’t cheaper as a whole than MLB.

2. Dave L says:

Realistically for the truly cheap fan the Rays crib always wins every year going away.

Some of the costs they factor in could be avoided altogether with them letting you bring in sealed bottled water and food. Take advantage of the off site $5 parking and costs drop further

Public transport isn’t really feasible for the Trop where it would be in more urban Stadiums, so thats about the only advantage any other stadium could possible have cost wise over the Trop.

So I doubt the Diamondbacks park is effectively cheaper.

• Beth says:

Dave L, I’ve been making those points for years now, especially when people complain that it’s expensive to go to a game because parking and food cost so much.

And let me add that you can park in a downtown garage for $5 (or even for free on the street if it’s a Sunday) and take the free shuttle to the stadium — that way you save money and avoid the hassle of negotiating traffic right around the stadium.

That the Rays continue to let us bring in our own food and nonalcoholic drinks is to me one of the best things about attending games here. We’ve been able to bring in a birthday cake once — in contrast, when I wanted to celebrate my son’s birthday once at Raymond James stadium, they made me order cupcakes through their catering service, spending about $30 for a few cupcakes they seem to have bought at Publix.

3. Ken says:

Why then is attendance so low?

Rays ARE the “CHEAPEST” franchise in sports…trust me….ask anyone who PLAYED here……

• Political_Man says:

Your posts are predictable and don’t really contribute anything to the overall discussion. I’d be curious to hear from the moderators as to why your “contributions” are still accepted.

5. Mike says:

That study is BS. I’m sorry, but you can’t get a beer, soft drink, and hot dog for $12 at a Rays game. The beer is $8-9 alone.

Also I doubt that the average ticket is $20. Maybe for a “silver” game, but not for any of the other levels of pricing