Red Sox 3, RAYS 2 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Jeremy Hellickson. Most pitchers would love to go into Fenway park, throw 7 innings, strike out 9, walk 1, and allow just 2 runs. But with the Rays offense in its current state, that is just not enough…Longoria goes long. Evan Longoria hit his first home run of the season and the Rays first in 7 games. But of course, considering the Rays struggles with runners on base, Longo’s home run came with the bases empty.
THE BAD: Boston Marathon Attack. In what must have been a terrifying and stressful situation for the players, they were on a plane heading to Baltimore not long after news of the bombings at the Boston Marathon began to spread. There was also a third bomb that went off at JFK Library. So there had to at least be a small worry in the backs of their minds of not knowing what else would be a target…Offense Continues To Struggle. Ben Zobrist did a great job getting the tying run home in the 9th. But he was stranded on second base with no outs when the next two batters, Evan Longoria and Matt Joyce, struck out and Ryan Roberts popped out. Those last 2 strikeouts were the 24th and 25th in the last 2 games…Molina’s Equipment. Joel Peralta was one strike away from the 2nd out in the 9th inning when a foul ball broke Jose Molina’s mask. This led to a delay of several minutes as Molina needed to replace the mask. It did not appear that Pralta took any warm-up tosses when Molina returned. And when the game resumed, Peralta’s first pitch, a splitter, hung up just enough for Mike Napoli to loop a double off the wall for the walk-off win.
THE TELLING: Evan Longoria remained in the 3rd spot of the order with Matt Joyce hitting cleanup…The Rays are now 4-8, 1.5 games behind the Blue Jays in last place of the AL East and 4 games behind the Red Sox…Luke Scott still hasn’t run the bases, something required before he can begin his rehab.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Marc Topkin has reactions from the Rays about the bombings in Boston. [TampaBay.com]
- Sam Fuld’s parent were near the finish line when the explosions went off. [TBO.com]
- Sam Fuld spent the Rays recent off-day practicing with his former high school team. Best part is how he is one of the smallest people in the picture. [Yahoo! Sports]
- TR Sullivan says the Rangers would give up Jurickson Profar as the main piece of a package “in the blink of an eye” if it meant landing David Price. [MLB.com]
- Kyle Farnsworth and Co. discuss what happens and what to do during a brawl. [TBO.com]
- Meanwhile, penalties for charging the mound may be getting more severe. [BI Sports]
- I hope Ronde Barber isn’t waiting for a call from The Today Show. [JoeBucsFan]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
DURHAM 6, Charlotte 3. Chris Archer struck out 6 and walked 3 in 5 innings. He allowed 5 hits and 2 runs…RF Wil Myers was 1-3 with 2 walks…1B Leslie Anderson had 2 hits and a walk.
Mobile 13, MONTGOMERY 10. RF Mikie Mahtook had a double and his 2nd home run. He drove in 3…LF Todd Glaesmann had 3 hits including his 3rd home run.
St. Lucie 6, CHARLOTTE 3. RF Drew Vettleson went 1-4 and 3B Richie Shaffer was 0-4 with 4 strikeouts.