uspw_7274186The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.

Orioles 5, RAYS 4 (boxscore)

THE GOOD: Finding Power. The Rays finally found some power and it was wasted on a loss. Desmond Jennings led off the game with a home run. And then, just when it looked like the Rays were going down in another ugly loss, Kelly Johnson and Evan Longoria homered in the 8th inning to make it a 1-run game…Brandon Gomes. After closing the gap to one run, the Rays needed to keep the Orioles in check in the bottom of the 8th to have a shot in the 9th. The last thing the Rays needed was Cesar Ramos coming in and walking the first batter he faced. Enter Gomes, who gave up a sac bunt pushing the runner into scoring position. He then retired the next to batters to keep the game close and give the Rays a chance.

THE BAD: Roberto Hernandez. Sometimes, pitchers pitch just good enough to lose. That was Fausto last night. Of the 16 outs he recorded, 15 were either groundballs (8) or strikeouts (7). That is exactly what you want to see. But if the batters got the ball elevated, they hit it hard, as 4 of the 5 hits he allowed were either doubles (3) or a home run (1). He also struggled with batters early in innings. Four of the 6 leadoff hitters he faced reached base. All 4 of those base runners went on to score.

THE TELLING: The Rays are now 4-9, matching their worst record after 13 games (2001,2005)…According to CoolStandings.com, the Rays still have a 22.2% chance of making the playoffs. That’s actually better than the Blue Jays at 19.8%…Luke Scott ran yesterday, but only at 60%.

THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA

• Many teams honored the city of Boston by playing “Sweet Caroline” during last night’s games. Here is video of the song at Yankee Stadium. [BI Sports]
  • Buster Olney takes a guess at the teams that will be interested in trading for David Price. He lists the Cubs, Red Sox, Cardinals, Rangers. [ESPN Insider]
  • The number of African-American players in Major League Baseball has held steady the last decade. [BI Sports]
  • Here are some of the images from the Jackie Robinson Day celebration at Dodger Stadium. [BI Sports]

DOWN ON THE FARM

Charlotte 2, DURHAM 1. SS Hak-Ju Lee was 1-3 with 2 walks and has been on base 24 times in 12 games…RF Wil Myers had a single and a triple in 4 at bats. He has been on base 22 times in 11 games.

MONTGOMERY 9, Mobile 3. RF Mikie Mahtook was 1-3 with a double and a walk…C Mark Thomas hit his first home run of the season, a grand slam.

St. Lucie 13, CHARLOTTE 3. 1B Alejandro Segovia hit his 3rd home run…3B Richie Shaffer went 1-3 with 2 strikeouts.

BOWLING GREEN 2, Great Lakes 0. 2011 First-round pick Jeff Ames, struck out 8 and walked none in 5 shutout innings. He gave up just 1 hit…CF Andrew Toles had 3 hits including a triple. He has 19 hits in 11 games.

Tags

1. KT says:

Any chance Mahtook gets called to AAA when Myers finally gets the call up?

2. Gus says:

Glad to see Gomes getting his chance. He should be the 8th inning guy on merit. Peralta’s magic last season seems to have evaporated.

Finally glad to see Hernandez in the BAD (albeit begrudgenly). With a system loaded with starting arms like this one, why he has started 3 of the first 13 games (0-3) will be one of the great mysteries of my life. His era is north of 6, he is not a prospect, why on earth is he on the bump for a team with World Series dreams?

I was on this after the weekend, but really how long until Maddon sits Escobar down for a spell? Where is his managerial touch? Guy has been dreadful, less than .100 with the same exact out (ground out to SS) that we sall all spring as well. Zobrist is a great option. S–Rod could play there as well. If you are going to salvage the guy, sit him down, let him re-group and try to get the team winning.

I posted this last night — 6 of the 9 batters were sub.200. 2 were sub .100. Yet no roster moves? No benchings? The “quadtoon” may be on its way to infamy.

• Cork Gaines says:

You seem to have this misconception that I am a Hernandez fan or think he is a great pitcher. I don’t recall ever actually offering an opinion on Hernandez’ merits to be in the rotation. My job has always been to try and tell you guys what the Rays WILL do, not necessarily what they SHOULD do. All I ever did with Hernandez is look at the evidence and the evidence told me the Rays wanted him in the rotation. I prefer that this website be more Rays 101 than op-ed column. Obviously I prefer when Rays pitchers perform well. But there is no agenda with Hernandez. If I believe his performance is bad, I will say so.

• Mr. Smith 1980 says:

I still feel like Fauberto is capable of maintaining his status as a bottom of the rotation guy, but pretty soon I may have to start looking for some good crow recipes…

• Dave L says:

Same here. If the time comes make 2 servings. Hope it doesnt.

Would I rather have Chris Archer in the 5 spot? Absolutely and if we were a franchise who could over pay when the time comes then bring him up now.

But I would trade some of his age 24 season now for a full age 29 or 30 season when hes in his prime where we can still afford him and Price is a distant memory like the good Kazmir is now..

3. OriginalTom says:

2 reasons not to bench Escobar are: 1) He has a .280 career BA in over 3000 at bats so you do not want to put to much emphasis on 45 AB’s.2) It is not like they have a great replacement. If you put Zobrist at Short you still need someone to replace Zo at 2B, it is not like SRod has been great.

• Dave L says:

Agreed. Almost everybody is in a slump it can’t last for ever. Nobody expected these guys to be .300 20HR 100RBI but we hope they have career average years thats all. There is still that chance, Like you said less than 50 AB’s.

• Gus says:

Reasons to at least sit him down for a couple of games:

1. He’s killing you at the plate and in the field. I believe in the reversion to the mean like Crash Davis believes in the small of a woman’s back, but at some point these guys are human beings, not algorithyms. He’s killing the team. Let him sit and recover. It’s killing him right now.

2. He is listed at 30 (could be older as a defector). He had a very lousy 2012 with a .300 obp. He may well be in a steep decline. If he is in a free fall, you’ve got some options from Zobrist to Lee to S-Rod. Anything that keeps Zobrist in the infield is a win (assuming we get a AAA OF into the mix soon enough). He’s only signed for this year. If he can’t play, admit that know and move on. At least make him earn his at bats.

4. Mr. Smith 1980 says:

Question for everyone who watches games via SunSports/FSN:

Let me preface this question by saying that I know nothing of TV production or sound engineering. That being said:

Is it just me or has the sound of the crack of the bat changed drastically this season on Sun/FSN? I feel like what used to be a good solid “crack” of bat on ball has changed to an odd reverberating, almost “tinny” sound? It’s making me crazy– has anyone else picked-up on this or have I officially lost it?

• Mr. Smith 1980 says:

Cork- have you noticed this?
      Dave L?
      Gus?
      Ken?
      Anyone??

• Dave L says:

Ok I am driven to near madness by three lines of nothing under the stream of conciousness continuous loop of insignifigant sports news repeated 478 times a game so I will try to concentrate on bat acoustics tonight to take my mind off it.

5. Rob says:

Former Ray Alert: Wade Davis is throwing a gem through 6 against the hottest team in the league.

What crack of the Bat…Rays never hit the ball…Oh you mean the other team, that sounds like thunder….
    Wade Davis… hes not a “starter”, says A. Friedman& J maddon..Davis was “Dispensible”
    KC stikes out the side in the 9th….Davis Wins again…WE got Noname…

7. Dave L says:

Hey Gus on the other hand. Guess who leads the team in innings pitched?

Oh so you say you want good innings though right? He’s eating innings although they dont taste good and each inning usually includes the other team getting a run you say? True and True and True but look at the other 2 innings eaters on the Rays.

W L ERA IP SO AVG WHIP
    Fausto 0 3 5.79 18.2 18 0.257 1.39
    Helli 0 1 4.91 18.1 12 0.235 1.15
    DP 0 1 5.82 17.0 15 0.300 1.65

• Gus says:

You really want to go there? Good lord.

I am looking for anything in the Carmona-Hernandez resume that indicates he will pitch well THIS year and why he is the 3rd starter. He could, but what leads anybody to believe that? He had one season (3.77 in 2010) in the last 5 with an ERA under 5 (the others in order: 5.44, 6.32, 5.25 and 7.53). He’s in his mid-30s. He had a lousy spring (especially at the end against real lineups) and three lousy regular season, coughing up leads, starts. The org has solid Durham starters and no offense. They can’t win with a guy in the 5.00s.

You don’t need to be a genius to recognize a journeyman. The Rays can’t win with journeyman starts. It is a foolish strategy. That is all I’ve been saying since March. I wish he was Fernando Rodney Part II. I’d be glad for him to work in Durham or the bullpen to improve and reclaim his career. But he should not be starting games for the Rays now. At some point, the organization, the press and the fan base will realize that.

8. Dave L says:

Well so far obviously you are winning the arguement and I am losing based on the 1st 3 starts BUT……

He’s age adjusted 32 now not mid 30′s

Dude hasnt pitched much in 2 years so maybe he’s rusty.

His stats eerily mirror Prices. Obviously Price will right the ship and Fausto may not BUT talk to me after 3 more starts. He is going to make them whether you or i like it or not.

Mr Smith found a nice jerk-crow dish on food.com and you are invited over to my bungalo and you can watch us eat it if Fausto doesnt improve.