Playing A Little Pepper

Rays have lost 6 of 7 and are now 4-8. A loss tonight would match the club’s worst record after 13 games (2001,2005)…In last 7 games, the Rays have 1 win, 1 home run, 8 extra-base hits and 1 hit in last 28 at bats with runners in scoring position…Since the start of the 2012 season, the Rays have lost 16 games in which the starting pitcher worked at least 7 innings and allowed 2 or fewer runs…The Rays trail the all-time series with the Orioles 129-132…Since so many teams had yesterday off, MLB will honor Jackie Robinson again tonight by having players wear #42…The Rays next 9 games are against teams that were in the playoffs last season…Joe Maddon has already used 11 different lineups in 12 games…Only 4 pitchers since 1961 have won their first 3 starts of the year without allowing a run. Matt Moore could make it 5 tomorrow…Evan Longoria is the only player with more than 2 hits in a single game.

Game Graph

[Will be up at game time]

Source: FanGraphs

Lineup…

1. Flash Jennings, CF
  2. Kelly Johnson, DH
  3. Ben Zobrist, 2B
  4. Evan Longoria, 3B
  5. Matt Joyce, LF
  6. Yunel Escobar, SS
  7. James Loney, 1B
  8. Jose Lobaton, C
  9. Sam Fuld, RF
  10. Roberto Hernandez, SP

1. Dave L says:

Up to this point Fausto has been judged by a lower standard as correctly pointed out one of his most vocal detractors here.

Before he was judged by the "as a fifth starter it was good he lasted 6 2/3 innings at least and didnt kill our pen" standard. Or the "when he left we were still in the game" standard Or his first start in quite some time standard. I think that was me voicing all those lower standards actually.

But now he must start to be judged by a higher standard. Since our hopes the first series that we may actually have better hitting this year have proven to be false ones. He's going to have to do more than not totally suck going forward to keep a spot. I had hopes he would be capable of outperforming one or more of the other 4 from time to time throughout the year.

I still have that hope.

• Ken says:

Gotta admit that Fausto pitched a serviceable game. Longo's errant throw hurt. I can't imagine how much pressure the pitchers are feeling.

2. Ken says:

Right now Dave the only standard I can hold up for any Rays player is "Did he help us win the game today?". Fausto needs to pitch us to a win, if he doesn't deals with the devil will soon be made.

3. Gus says:

I believe he has coughed up a lead in every game he has pitched. This franchise is a joke right now. Not even trying to win. Fuld to the front office, hernandez to the pen (where he might be servicable), call up myers, guyer, anderson and lee. 6 of 9 starters under mendoza line is not acceptable. Worst team in the al even with 4 fine starters.

All started with a joke of a spring. No jobs on line. No meritocracy.

• Allen says:

Gus, "6 of 9 under the mendoza line" means what? I'm not familiar with that expression. I suppose it means hitting under .200? That fits. What a shame. Anyway, I'm interested in knowing its derivation. How can the Rays win with great pitching if the lineup has six hitters "under the mendoza line"? As almost every other contributor to this blog has recently said, it hurts to watch this team.

Maybe things are turning: Joyce is 2 for 2.

• Gus says:

Mario mendoza was a .199 hitter in an era when batting average under .200 was considered shameful. May need to come up with a new term for sub .100 hitters (rays had 2 of those tonight). The Escobar-Fuld line.

4. Ken says:

Who wants to predict what Wright will do?

• Gus says:

He will walk at least one.

When is hernandez experiment declared a failure.

• Ken says:

He battled back and was an error away from getting us to the 7th only down 2. With 0 run support no pitcher can succeed.

• Gus says:

His era is 5.80 (without the two unearned runs that followed him loading the bases). A mistake to be in the rotation compounded by pitching him third.
          Unlike other rays pitchers he has had leads which he has surrurendered immediately.

• Dave L says:

Cmon Gus RH wasnt the problem tonite

5. Ken says:

Stick a fork in us. Shameful. Unexplainable. Totally frustrating. I have $4000.00 invested in season tickets. What a fool am I.

• Dave L says:

Ken dont think that way it will get better. I turned off the game as well its too much.

Pitching isnt the problem.

Fausto is what he is but they left him in too long. Ok hes not what i hoped he would be

6. Burn H. says:

They need to dig a big hole to come out of once we can afford to bring up Archer, Anderson, Gimenez, Lee and Myers. At least they are doing this while they aren' t televised in my area. Once basket ball and hockey is over I may be forced to view this sad state of affairs. It may be the jinks of starting a non-drafted pitcher, or the selling of Big Game James. I hope it doesn't last to long, like it did in Boston.

7. TOM says:

Can someone explain to me why Keppinger wasn't resigned? Money? 4mil isn't that much when you consider what they pay Escobar, SRod, Loney to name a few.

• Mr. Smith 1980 says:

Kepp had a huge, well above career numbers, kind of year last year- check out his numbers now... he's batting .196 with a .196 OBP, which means he's not even taking walks. He's a journeyman player who was far from a lock to repeat 2012's performance... I wanted the Rays to re-sign him too, but I can definitely see the thinking behind the decision, and on paper Escobar is a much better option.