joeraysfan2

OK, Joe has to apologize for the too-easy-to-type headline as Rays ace and Cy Young Award winner David Price was anything but an ace or a Cy Young candidate today. He got rocked for eight runs in five innings, all earned, on 10 hits while walking three and fanning as many.

That’s not what the Rays need from him, especially against the likes of the Tribe.

Shoot, even the “Crooked Cap” himself, Fernando Rodney, gave up a two-run homer.

Meanwhile, Justin Masteron, who the Rays have owned over his career, handcuffed the Rays allowing but two hits.

The turd Price dropped today included two, three-run homers. All of last year, Price hadn’t coughed up a three-run homer. Including his start on Opening Day, Price has given up 17 hits in 11 innings. Is something amiss here?

Yeah, the season is very young. Price’s next start later this week will be interesting to keep an eye on to see if he’s getting tagged for hits as often has he has in his first two starts.

Let me get this Quote correct: ” I want to be the BEST Pitcher in Baseball” D.Price
    How about the 5th best Pitcher on your Team, not counting Relievers……
    I want to play on the Pro golf Tour…… you think I got a chance Price

2. Dave L says:

Our centerfielder has made 3 outs on the basepaths in as many days.

Can you imagine if last years centerfielder, his name escapes me….made those 3 exact plays? The Rays Index comment section would have exploded in righteous indignation.

To be fair the catcher wouldn’t have been blown up obviously but the net results of 3 outs?

Just think about it.

• Ken says:

I think that BJ is like 4-22 with at least 10 K’s, has already pissed off two NL umpires, and wouldn’t have even tried to score on that play. 15 million for BJ vs Flash? Not the Rays way. Go watch TBS.

• Dave L says:

Wow. That was easier than I thought. What made you infer I was lamenting his loss? I have made 2 successive posts this week chronicling his and the other 2 prominent x-rays absolute lack of success thus far in other uniforms.

I guess my comparison went right over your head. Go back and reread what I wrote and think about it.

Three questionable and unsuccessful baserunning decisions by the speedy centerfielder in the first week. Maybe I have to spell it out for you better. What would have been your emotional, visceral, reaction if BJ made those exact 3 decisions?

• Mr. Smith 1980 says:

The primary difference between the reactions is the fact that DJ is new to the position, is hustling (even if he’s making stupid decisions), and has yet to put himself in an “unlikeable” position… all of which are counter to his predecessor (except for the bad decision-making).

3. Andy says:

Honestly, I’ve been concerned this might happen ever since Price won the Cy Young. Not b/c of the award itself, but b/c of how he fared in 2011 after he was chosen to start that Opening Day. Though he’s a proven stud on the mound, he seemed to fair better when he was not annointed as the Ace of the Staff. I realize he worked awfully hard to rightfully earn that role, but it’s a tough mantle to maintain!! Gotta give it up to Shields for doing such a gr8 job of that; just wish David would have learned more of his tricks! I hope I’m wrong, but I really think Price has to address this, w/Hickey’s help, of course!!

4. Bill says:

I could be wrong, because I haven’t look at the data. But it seems, from in person observation of both games, Price’s fastball must be unusually flat or something. Velocity seems to be there, at least enough that it is not an issue even of not touching 97 as often. Missing with breaking balls and sitting on fastballs? Even when he did that in the past he got a fair number of missed bats in the past. But people are stroking him and putting balls in play harder than I’ve ever seen. Some small mechanics thing that has flattened his fastball or made it lose late movement? Hopefully and hopefully an easy adjustment for Hick and he to make.