The Rays’ 2013 opening day payroll will be approximately $63.3 million. I say “approximately” because we are still not sure what Shelley Duncan’s contract stipulates as a big league salary, but it should be in the $1.0 million range.
The $63.3 million payroll is $0.9 million less than last year, and $24.4 million less than the Yankees’ disabled list ($87.7 million), which includes Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter, Mark Teixeira, Curtis Granderson, and Phil Hughes.
More notes on the roster can be seen below…
Notes on the roster…
- Players in grey are on the 40-man roster but will start the season in the minor leagues. A player must be on the 40-man roster in order to be promoted to the big leagues.
- The average age of the active roster (non-grey) is 30.8 years old with only six players with less than four years of experience.
- The average player has three years until they reach free agency. Nine players will be free agents after the season.
(1) Once a player is added to the 40-man roster, the team can ‘option’ the player to the minors 3 times. A team cannot be charged with using more than one option in a given season even if a player is demoted to the minors several times that year. An option is not used if a player is added to the 40-man roster midseason unless he is sent back to the minors at some point. An option is only used if a player spends more than 20 days in the minors while on the 40-man roster. A player with more than 5 years experience can refuse a minor league assignment, so we list those players as having no options.
(2) Years remaining under control of franchise before free agency eligibility. A player can become a free agent after 6 years of Major League service time.
(3) First, second and third year players will have their salaries determined by the team, but will fall close to the major league minimum which is $480K in ’12. Minor leaguers on the 40-man make $78,250. We are not including signing bonuses or incentives.
* Players with at least 3 years since their big league debut. These players must clear optional waivers in order to be demoted to the minors even if they have options remaining.