MLB: Tampa Bay Rays at Kansas City RoyalsThe Rays announced today that three more pitchers have been cut and reassigned to minor league camp, including Chris Archer, Alex Torres, and Jake Odorizzi (via Marc Topkin). Archer started four games for the Rays in 2012 and was considered a long-shot for the final spot in the rotation. Torres appeared in four games for the Rays in 2011. And Odorizzi was one of the players acquired by the Rays in the James Shields trade.

1. Brianknowsbest says:

doesnt this make jeff neiman the 5th starter then?

2. dan r says:

essentially the guys with options were reassigned, (unless they already had a rotation spot). I still like Neimann, but injury concerns are huge. I think if he earns the 5th spot, Hernandez goes to the pen as long man, and as insurance too. . . with that being said I think Hernandez history for eating innings is pretty attractive, but they like Neimann’s potential. . . so I really don’t have any idea, Jeff? Roberto?? trade, keep??? Isn’t this why we love the spring?

3. Mr. Smith 1980 says:

Perhaps they’ll continue to posture Niemann as the “obvious” #5 guy to make him seem more attractive to potential trade partners (i.e. Colorado) and possibly increase his implied value. If he gets traded then it looks like Hernandez will be a serviceable replacement. If he stays I agree with Dan R. (above), Hernandez becomes the bullpen’s inning-eater and a simultaneous insurance policy against a Niemann injury.

4. Alex says:

Still hoping for a Niemann trade since they won’t need a 5th guy for a few weeks, R Hernandez to the pen and Archer in the 5th spot

• Ken says:

Long term I think your scenario works well. My concern is value received for Niemann. Rockies roster and top prospects aren’t that appealing. If Niemann is right he’s a 3/4 starter on a lot of teams. A young RH OF bat or a close to can’t miss C prospect seems fair.

• Alex says:

Problem is he’s a free agent in 2 years and it’ not like he’s getting healthier. Another injury or two and he may have no trade value. He’s a very cool guy and I appreciate all that he has done for us, but I think his Jason Hammel time has come. Probably not this year though

5. Geoff Peterson says:

They weren’t cut, they were reassigned to minor league camps. Cut is a very misleading term because actual cuts (Duncan, Cust) will be coming down the line.

Rays Demote Pitchers who would start for 80+% of major league teams but can’t find/sign anyone who can hit…see any problems here?

• Mr. Smith 1980 says:

Nope.

Stockpiling pitchers is the smartest thing you can possibly do as a low-budget team, because you’d never be able to afford decent pitching out on the market.

7. Dave L says:

Archer had almost a zero percent chance of making the opening day roster. Ditto Odorizzi. Its not thier time, its very simple we are maximizing thier service time.

This was the smallest surprise of March 2013

8. dan r says:

It seems to me that all of this is necessary, spring training is 1.5 to 2wks longer this year, as the “main starters” work, every outing they are being extended by an inning or so, thus the AAA guys also have to get work, and there simply isn’t enough innings for everyone. I am sure the AAA guys are disappointed, but shouldn’t be surprised. Probably miss the major league meal money more than anything.