RAYS 8, Twins 5 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Juan Sandoval. I’m not sure if Sandoval has a legit shot of making the opening day roster. But at this rate, we will see him at some point this season. Another scoreless inning and now he has allowed just 1 run in 4.1 innings with 3 strikeouts and 1 walk. And he is hitting 95 on the gun…Defense. The Rays have committed 7 errors in 12 games, but none have been committed by a player that is expected to be on the opening day roster and 2 were by pitchers. On the downside, 4 of the 7 errors have been committed by Hak-Ju Lee (3) and Tim Beckham (1).
THE BAD: Matt Moore. Moore walked the leadoff hitters in both the first and second innings and was unable to finish his 3 scheduled innings of work being pulled with 2 outs in the 3rd. He allowed 2 runs and struck out 2…Jose Lobaton. After praising the team defense above, I should point out one worrisome aspect. After finishing the 2012 season with zero passed balls, Lobaton already has 2 in Spring Training, the only 2 committed by Rays catchers. He was also behind the plate for 1 of the 3 wild pitches.
THE TELLING: Luke Scott and Sam Fuld are both still out with hamstring issues…James Loney was back in the lineup after battling an allergy issue…Today is a scheduled off-day.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Joe Maddon says Luke Scott could return on Thursday but isn’t sure. Maddon also called Sam Fuld’s hamstring issue “precautionary.” [MLB.com]
- Joe Maddon left yesterday’s game early because he is having a colonoscopy today. It doesn’t sound like an emergency so it is interesting that he waited until Spring Training started. Lucky for us I guess. This way the media is around to document it. [TampaBay.com]
- Matt Moore says he is battling a mechanical flaw in his delivery. Jim Hickey sounds like he is not convinced and that the results just aren’t there yet for Moore. [TampaBay.com]
- Roger Mooney takes a look at how Roberto Hernandez has evolved on the mound and how he must now adjust after hitters started figuring him out. [TBO.com]
- Here are some quotes from Joe Maddon and Jim Hickey basically saying Jake McGee is a future closer, even if the Rays don’t use closers *wink wink*. [TampaBay.com]
- The Nationals cut a pitcher before the spring game was even over. [BI Sports]
- If you ever watch ESPN or go to ESPN.com, here are some interesting numbers. [BI Sports]
- Will Josh Freeman get a new contract from the Bucs? [Joe Bucs Fan]