RAYS 6, Pirates 2 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Evan Longoria. Dirtbag hit his first home run of the spring…Evan Longoria’s Glove. Longo committed two errors on one play. So why is Longo’s glove in the “good”? The Rays have committed 23 errors this season, but those two by Longoria were just the 6th and 7th committed by position players that will be on the opening day roster…Shelley Duncan. Shirley hit his fifth home run of the spring and then was rewarded with a trip to minor league camp.
THE BAD: Luke Scott’s Health. Scott was a “precautionary” scratch from Monday’s game with calf tightness. At this point, I would be shocked if Scott played 90 games this season.
THE TELLING: The Rays cut four more players, including Chris Gimenez, Shelley Duncan, Jason Bourgeois, and Mike Fontenot. Gimenez was optioned (he’s on the 40-man roster) and the others were reassigned to minor league camp. These moves mean Jose Lobaton will indeed be the second catcher (we knew that already). Also, catcher Craig Albernaz and relief pitcher Jamey Wright are the only non-roster players still in camp with the Rays…Sam Fuld played in a minor league game.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Here is a video preview of the Rays by Jon Paul Morosi of FoxSports.com. He thinks the Rays are going to struggle without James Shields and BJ Upton. [Fox Sports]
- Joe Maddon pretty much admitted what we already knew, that Chris Gimenez is in the minors only because Jose Lobaton is out of minor league options, saying “it’s just part of the business.” So if you wanted the 25 best players on the big league roster, you ain’t gettin’ it. [TBO.com]
- Scott Kazmir will indeed be the fifth starter for the Indians. And his first start? That will be in Tropicana Field. [CBSSports.com]
- Brandon Gomes probably won’t make the Rays opening day roster unless Jeff Niemann is traded. But Joe Maddon says gomes will be a “big part of what [the Rays] are going to do this year.” In other words, he is the first reliever “off the bench.” [TampaBay.com]
- You will never guess how many people in the ESPN.com bracket contest have Florida Gulf Coast University winning it all. [BI Sports]
- Ronde Barber has not decided if he wants to play one more year with the Bucs. [JoeBucsFan]