Twins 6, RAYS 4 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Jake McGee. Any concerns about McGee’s velocity have disappeared as he was hitting 95 yesterday…Luke Scott. Wolverine looked good in his return to the lineup, hitting a home run and an opposite field double…Speed Kills. Two more stolen bases for the Rays who lead all teams with 21 in the Spring.
THE BAD: Not Getting On. We know the Rays are not going to be a great hitting team. And so far in the Spring they are hitting .278, which is 10th among American League clubs. But what is a little worrisome is that their OBP is only .341, a good mark during the regular season, but which is only 13th in the AL in the Spring. The Rays are making good contact, having struck out just 103 times (5th fewest in AL), but they also have only 51 walks, 11th in the AL.
THE TELLING: After yesterday’s cuts, the roster is now down to 51 players…Cesar Ramos has returned to the Rays after Mexico was eliminated from the WBC…With Wednesday being an off-day, David Price will start in a minor league game to keep him on schedule to pitch opening day. Also, Jeremy Hellickson will start in a minor league game on Thursday which means he will likely be the starting pitcher in game 2 of the regular season.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- In addition to the 8 pitchers cut prior to yesterday’s game, the Rays also reassigned Nick Weglarz, Mark Thomas, and Shawn O’Malley. [Mark Topkin]
- Manny Ramirez has officially joined a team called the Rhinos in Taiwan. [TaipeiTimes]
- Scott Kazmir blanked the Angels for 4 innings with his fast ball in the 89-93 range. Makes you wonder why a 29-year-old lefty that is throwing this well couldn’t do any better than a minor league deal from the Cleveland Indians. [Peter Gammons]
- Roger Mooney talked to Chris Gimenez on his transformation that has finally made him a legit prospect. [TBO.com]
- Roberto Hernandez is starting to look a lot like Fausto Carmona. [TampaBay.com]
- Matt Filippi of The Hardball Times has Five questions for the Rays entering the season. [The Hardball Times]
- More on the likelihood of a David Price long-term deal. [Baseball News Source]
- Joe spoke with Peter King. [JoeBucsFan]