RAYS 11, Tigers 5 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Luke Scott. Another home run for Scott, who now has three this spring in limited action. And it is not just the home runs. He has 9 hits in 9 games. But more importantly, 7 of those hits are for extra bases. He also has 2 walks and just 2 strikeouts. This lineup needs power. But that thirst will be less if Scott is healthy and swinging the bat well…Stephen Vogt. I just love that picture of Vogt to the right. He always just looks so uncomfortable no matter what he is doing.
THE BAD: WBC. The good news is the WBC is finally over. The bad news is, the Dominicans only won 3-0 in the final, so Fernando Rodney was needed for the SEVENTH STRAIGHT GAME. Not cool. You can see the celebration HERE…David Price. It’s not clear who David Price was mad at, but he was mad at somebody for making him pitch in the rain on Monday. He did sound better on Tuesday. But man, he was ticked on Monday.
THE TELLING: Jeff Niemann will be pushed back three days and will start on Friday. This still makes him the only starting pitcher not on normal rest for a regular season start with just three turns through the rotation remaining in the spring…If Jeff Niemann is traded, Brandon Gomes would seem to be the favorite for the final bullpen spot. And Joe Maddon said he may be having the “best spring” of anybody in camp according to Marc Topkin…Ben Zobrist played shortstop for the first time this spring…Remember when Sam Fuld was supposed to play last week, and earlier this week, and then the end of this week. Now it is “Friday or Saturday.”
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Some people just don’t want to hear about how well Josh Lueke is performing based on his troubled past. On the one hand, I doubt the author meant his post to come off the way Craig Calcaterra took it. But on the other hand, if you are going to write about anything having to do with rape, you’ve got to choose your words very carefully. [HardballTalk]
- The Rays are trying to convince St. Pete to let them out of their contract by arguing that the land is more valuable if it is not being used for baseball. [TampaBay.com]
- The Rays have unveiled their marketing strategy for 2013. [Shadow of the Stadium]
- Marc Topkin discusses the remaining questions with the roster. We’ll have more on this in a little bit. [TampaBay.com]
- This headline made me giggle: “Carl Crawford shows off arm.” [KFFL.com]
- Luke Scott is apparently the face of MLB gun owners (thanks, Dre). [BuzzFeed]
- Some important info to keep in mind if you are still filling out your brackets. [BI Sports]