Phillies 10, RAYS 1 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Spring Training Is Great, But…Thank god it’s almost over. Let’s start the season already! There are just four spring games left and the regular season is just six days away. Woohoo!
THE BAD: Roberto Hernandez. Fausto had a rough outing. And while some think it was a terrible time to have a rough outing, it shouldn’t affect his spot in the rotation. Joe Maddon was still complimentary after the game, noting he was getting a lot of groundballs and saying he “was not discouraged at all.” Besides, the Rays never make decisions based on a sample size of one.
THE TELLING: All MLB teams will wear a Newtown patch on opening day. You can see the patch here…New sideline reporter Kelly Nash will make her debut during today’s broadcast…Fernando Rodney is expected to make his first appearance for the Rays since the WBC during today’s game. Sam Fuld will also play today for the Rays. And Luke Scott will be sidelined for the third straight game…Don Zimmer will throw the ceremonial first pitch on opening day.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- As these things go for the Rays, Luke Scott’s injury was initially not considered a problem, and now Joe Maddon is hinting that Scott might not be ready for opening day. The big concern for Maddon is finding Scott some at bats before opening day. [TampaBay.com]
- The Rays will have picks 21, 29, and 60 in the first two rounds of the MLB draft. [MinorLeagueBall]
- If you’re into this sorta thing, BustedCoverage has put together a gallery of new sideline reporter Kelly Nash, under the title “The Next Erin Andrews?” [BustedCoverage]
- One of the Rays’ top prospects, Jake Odorizzi, spoke with MLB Trade Rumors about how he chose his agent. [MLBTR]
- The Red Sox sellout streak (which was a fraud to begin with) is in danger, so the Sox are slashing beer prices and giving away food. [BI Sports]
- The Bucs have a lot of money to spend. [JoeBucsFan]