The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
Red Sox 5, RAYS 1 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Jeremy Hellickson. Hellboy stretched it out a bit, throwing 3 innings, striking out 4 and walking none. He allowed 1 run.
THE BAD: Rays Took The Day Off. Unless the rule has changed, teams are supposed to use at least three players we would call “regulars” when they go on the road in Spring Training. But the only two players that played yesterday for the Rays that might even be considered regulars were Ryan Roberts and Sean Rodriguez. And that is a stretch, since both of those guys are not likely to be starters in the regular season. In fact, five of the players that started for the Rays aren’t even on the 40-man roster. It will be interesting to see if MLB fines the Rays for skirting the rules.
THE TELLING: Teams are allowed to wear their new Spring Training caps during the regular season, so don’t be surprised to see the Sunburst logo lids when the games count.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- The MLB 2K13 video game launches today with David Price on the cover. As part of the launch, Price will take over the @2KSports Twitter account at 5pm and will answer questions from fans. [David Price]
- The Rays will once again shave their heads to support the Pediatric Cancer Foundation. If you donate $100, you can join them. [Joe Maddon]
- Jake McGee’s velocity is down early on, but he says it is intentional. [TBO.com]
- MLB Trade Rumors takes a look back at the Matt Garza trade and how it looks two years later. [MLBTR]
- According to a report in TBO.com, this could be the song you hear this season when the Rays take the field at the Trop…