James Loney

James Loney

THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA

• Even though the first official workout is not until Wednesday, camp is open and players are reporting. The image at right is new first baseman James Loney. [Dave Haller]
  • According to some guy with ESPN Radio in Minneapolis who goes by the name “Doogie,” the Padres and Astros are “interested” in Reid Brignac. Of course, that doesn’t mean they are willing to trade for the shortstop that was recently designated for assignment. More likely, they are probably waiting to see if he becomes a free agent. [1500ESPN.com]
  • Want to guarantee an autograph from Evan Longoria or David Price at FanFest? It will cost you $500. Interestingly, Longoria was listed as “sold out” last week. It is not today. [Longoria will still be available at one of the autograph tables which requires a $50 wristband] [MLB.com]
  • Kelly Johnson will wear BJ Upton’s no. 2. The Rays checked with BJ who said he was fine with it. [TampaBay.com]
  • Robinson Chirinos is returning from a concussion that caused him to miss the entire 2012 season. [TampaBay.com]
  • The Rays do not have one of the five best infields in baseball according to Bill Baer of ESPN.com. He has the Tigers as the best. [ESPN]
  • Marc Topkin previews spring training. [TampaBay.com]
  • The Red Sox let Kelly Shoppach go because “some Red Sox personnel didn’t care for his clubhouse politics” (i.e. complaining). [Boston Globe]
  • Doug Flutie is trying to become a knuckleball pitcher. [BI Sports]
  • Don’t forget your Morning Cup of Joe. [JoeBucsFan]

Tags

1. Michael says:

the rumor is Longo doesn't stay very long at his table

a friend of mine was the photographer at that table last year, said he was out as soon as the second hand struck

I got Matt Moore's last year, only baseball I own

2. Bill says:

Longo signs at almost every game for free. My kids have gotten his autograph on several balls, a bat, a game 162 ticket, and other items, all for free. He always takes a few minutes along the first base line to sign. If he wants to bolt as soon as he can from lines like this, and it causes the price for charity to go up, good for him.

Rays gave away the best infield in baseball, for Junk (looney, Tatoo man & Johnson), I'll live with Escobar(but not exactly in Rays player mold)

• Bill says:

I used to get so aggravated at your eternal pessimism, Don. But now it is really growing on me. Perhaps it's a form of Stockholm syndrome. I look forward to your barbs. Maybe it's because in my heart I feel SOME of the same thoughts taking shape. However, I still find it more enjoyable to be a true fanatic and think about what it would be like if the whole team had at least career average years, and maybe one or two have a career years.

I don't know how much you know about Loney, but he is a better ball player than he is getting credit for on here. Good defense, and certainly can move runners around with the bat better than 'Los if he doesn't have his power. And. I predict Escobar will benefit from the new scenery and have a good year. Would you rather Briggy or Sean over there? Escobar is as good as those two defensively, and all he has to do is hit his weight to be a better bat. Johnson legs Zobiwan play more outfield and keep those platoon guys protected (e.g. I can only hit righties, and only sometimes Joyce).

It's beyond me how you cannot see Escobar, Loney and Johnson as improvements over last years performance. If you ignore the names and look as last year's numbers you have no choie.

4. Morgan says:

Cork,
    I'd like to watch some workouts once camp opens.
    Can you recommend a couple of days that you'd expect that the Rays players will be out there for practices open to the public? I don't want to drive down from Tampa unless there's a chance to see them on the practice field. Is their practice field facility next to their stadium or in the same vicinity?

Thanks-
    Morgan

Dear Bill : can't stand "blind optimism" said I would live with Escobar, even though Zobrist was slotted for that spot,Looney could are less about his Defense if he can't hit (again)...Roberts and Johnson are utility players at best.... so we got a better infield? a "true fanantic" is great...Dream of this one :
    Longo, Escobar, Zobrist, Keppinger at least .280 hitting infield and maybe .300...you wanta bet on this 2013 infield??

• Mr Smith 1980 says:

Your unadulterated love for Kepp disproves everything you try to say about blind fanaticism... you are the trolliest troll I've ever encountered.

Your type, the "I'm going to feign pure pessimism so that I can always be pleasantly surprised" type, are the basest and most simple-minded sort of people because they'd rather paint a pretend grey sky than to have to deal with the possibility of disappointment.

• Mr Smith 1980 says:

• Bill says:

You have to look at the whole picture, Don, not just the isolated comparisons you choose to make. Would I like your infield? Of course. Does it make the whole team better? Not necessarily. Being able to play Zobrist mostly in right with stints at 2B , like he did in his 2009 all star season, definitely makes the team better. Otherwise we have no one out there who has proven they can hit lefties.

Keppinger's numbers were great. They will regress. I still maintain that he benefitted from being used in the right ways last season on top of stepping up his game some AND some random chance. Regardless, too much of a gamble to give him multiple years the way the Sox did. He's gone. Get over it. I loved him too. But I understand why they didn't sign him back.

Finally, @Mr Smith 1980, we all know Don's pessimism is really veiled cowardice. Veiled from no one except himself, that is. I was trying to pull him back from the dark side by stepping over there myself for a second. What a fool I am. It's a shame he doesn't know the joy of believing in something good, and then having it actually happen. The rest of us know that the disappointment along the way is part of the price we pay as fans, and is what makes it that much more enjoyable when we get the ultimate payout. Don will be happy then too. So he is a fan. But will he really enjoy it knowing that, apparently, it was all luck and that the Rays didn't know what they were doing at all? Because he is clearly the only one getting that point. ;)

• Bill says:

Btw' Don. I gave logic and referred to numbers for my optimism. You can look them up. Therefore, by definition, it is not blind optimism. You pessimism, on the other hand, seems to contradict some of your own posts. Go look up things you wrote about 'Los last season and who you would take over him. Doesn't jibe with the current Loney hating. Is there a such thing as blind pessimism? I looked it up in the dictionary. It said, "See Don on RaysIndex".