BDmet6GCAAEUxnMTHE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA

• It was picture day at Rays camp, and the Rays brought in a DJ to entertain the players (right; picture via MLB).
  • The Durham Bulls will host the 2014 Triple-A All-Star game. [Durham Bulls]
  • David Price didn’t mean to offend the Yankees. [TampaBay.com]
  • Cesar Ramos has been added to the World Baseball Classic roster of Mexico. [TampaBay.com]
  • Roberto Hernandez and Enny Romero will start the Spring Training openers on Saturday (split-squad games). Chris Archer will start on Sunday followed by Alex Cobb and David Price. [Marc Topkin]
  • And Dave Martinez will manage the squad in Fort Myers because he wants to go to the Bass Pro Shop. Yes, this is how spring decisions are made. [Joe Maddon]
  • David Price sounded a little dumbfounded about buying Evan Longoria a breastpump. [TampaBay.com]
  • Could these apartments be the future home of the Rays? [TBO.com]
  • The Mets opening day roster is projected to make $64.5 million in 2013. That is just $3.2 million more than the Rays. And the Mets’ highest-paid outfielder has been retired for 12 years.  [BI Sports]
  • Luke Scott’s boar head is now hanging on a wall in the Port Charlotte locker room and David Price “screamed.” [David Price]
  • If you would like an explanation of WAR without a lot of stats jargon, this is a good piece by Sam Miller for ESPN the Magazine. Also, if you scroll down to #2, there is an interesting discussion on BJ Upton and how different WARs disagree as to how valuable he is. [ESPN]
  • What can we expect from Shelley Duncan this season, if anything? [Rant Sports]
  • USF’s all-green uniforms may soon be illegal. [BI Sports]
  • Joe is reporting from the NFL Combine. [JoeBucsFan]

Tags

1. Mr.Smith 1980 says:

I was very interested to learn that WAR is not a specific set of data that is consistent across all platforms. I had no idea that different stats-keepers/sites use different formulas (to some extent).

When looking on baseball-reference for WAR I always just assumed it was a universal number… now I know better.

Price’s Vanderbelt mouth strikes again, when i was in college I used to say I will never get a haircut to get a job….
    If the Yankees offered him $20mil tomorrow and he was free to go he would be gone…but its good press brainman…

• Bill says:

Kind of ironic that in the course of making a snide comment about his intelligence and/or education you incorrectly spelled Vanderbilt.

• Don says:

You sure it was a spelling mistake or was it a slam?…think about it..how about brainman or rainman?…getting it

• Bill says:

Brainman was intentional. Vanderbelt was not. But even if it was, the impeccable sentence structure and use of punctuation are equally ironic.

• Dave L says:

Bulls in the 2012 All Star Game:

Odorizzi and Archer

WAR is still a work in progress, especially on the defensive side of the equation. But its still a great indicator of overall value and the best overall metric we have to date.

• Cork Gaines says:

(RE: WAR) That’s a good way to describe it. Pretty spot on. I always feel there are too many people that hate it and too many people that say “well, he was 4.2 WAR so he was better than the guy with 4.1 WAR.” It’s not that simple. For the most part, I can be relatively sure that a 6 WAR player is better than a 2 WAR player. But if you are in the same neighborhood, there is room for error.

3. Dave L says:

I can imagine Price’s response referring to the Yankees as “probably the best organization in all of sports. Not just baseball, but all of sports.” deilvered in his kind of sing song voice with a dry smiling humor honed during his days at that Vanderbuilt college.

He knows he’s the reigning effing king of pitching right now and guys like him Felix and Verlander can’t come out and say it but they feel like baseball gods and I dont blame them.

I cant wait to see the Price nationwide commercials this year. The ad men always come up with great ones.

• Don says:

I’ll tell you what happened to Price’s idiot ramblings, His agent called him screaming: “are you crazy, you just cost yourself millions in (FA negotiating if it ever gets there)…Keep your mouth shut we want every bidder we can get esp. the Yankees”
      Plus in NY your endorsements are unlimited… in Tampabay you are ML video games…

• Dave L says:

I didn’t notice any idiot ramblings coming from Price. I have no idea to what you are referring.

• Don says:

Lets see, “I wouldn’t play for the best sports franchise in all of sports (his Quote) if I couldn’t keep my facial hair” If thats not idiotic…..help me think of something Vanderbelt stupid…