RAYS 8, Pittsburgh 2 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Jeff Niemann. Niemann looked good in his second appearance of the spring, retiring all 3 batters he faced. But one has to wonder if this is one of the last times we will see Niemann with the Rays as the Rockies are expected to ramp up their trade efforts in the next week or so…Tim Beckham. Beckham, who must prove his bat can handle big league pitching, had a double and a triple…Juan Sandoval. The pitcher that is blind in one eye retired all 4 of the batters he faced…Flash Jennings. Two more stolen bases for Jennings who is running early and often in the spring.
THE BAD: Jeremy Hellickson. Hellboy was rusty in his spring debut, giving up 3 hits in less than 2 innings of work. He did strike out the final 2 batters of the first inning to get out of a jam.
THE TELLING: The ESPN crew is in camp today which means today’s “Baseball Tonight” episode should be heavy on the Rays…Matt Moore will make his spring debut today…David Price said his wrist was fine a day after being hit by a hard come-backer.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Here is a thorough review of all the moves the Rays made this off-season. [MLBTR]
- Luke Scott says a good sign that he is healthy is that he can once again handle lefties. [TBO.com]
- If you are looking for Brandon Guyer to fill the role of right-handed bat, Guyer doesn’t sound very optimistic. [TampaBay.com]
- Joe Maddon on what he is looking for from Wil Myers: “What I am looking for is more conversational and body language and how he reacts to bad moments and not good moments.” If this sounds familiar, it is because the Rays said the same thing about David Price and Evan Longoria when they were still in the minors. [ESPN]
- Evan Longoria is one of the backers for a new mini-bowling alley/sports bar set to open soon on Kennedy Boulevard. [TBO.com]
- Roger Mooney discusses the new balk rule and how it will help base stealers. [TBO.com]
- Luke Scott gave $5,000 to the Stetson University shooting club. That sound you just heard was boars everywhere running in fear. [GoHatters.com]
- “Tampa Bay the new hotbed of craft beer.” This makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. [TampaBay.com]
- QB Guru says Josh Freeman needs to throw more like Joe Flacco. [JoeBucsFan]