Will Middlebrooks, who was a rookie third baseman for the Red Sox last season, struggled in his limited action at Tropicana Field. In five games, he was 4-20 with eight strikeouts and no walks. And it is this level of sucktitude that may have led to Middlebrooks recent comment about Tropicana Field (via Twitter)…

While this quote will anger many Rays fans, it makes me smile. You see, the best thing about the Trop is that players on other teams hate it. And when a player like Middlebrooks openly despises The Trop it is like he is starting every at bat with a strike, making the job of the pitchers that much easier.

So keep on hatin’ Mr. Middlebrooks. We love it.

1. Beazy says:

“You see, the best thing about the Trop is that players on other teams hate it.”, the Trop, our 10th man!

2. Jeff says:

Except for the fact that our players and fans hate it too. But hey, if it makes us feel better……..

• Nick says:

Jeff, our players may hate it, but the fans I sit around in my season seats love it as do I. I have no desire to sit out in the sun alternatly baking and being rained on. I like my steady 73 degree AC. I think that an open air stadium would be aweful. I know the Rays need and deserve a new stadium. I just pray when it finally comes to pass it is inside. I have no desire to leave work early, rush to a stadium over an hour away if it is in Tampa (traveling from west Bradenton) only to pay for parking, pay for a dog and a beer, sit in my seat, get rained on, sit through a 11/2 hour rain delay only to go home due to a rain out. With no roof that would be a common senario. No thanks

• Beazy says:

It’s like our small hometowns or old cars, it’s a love hate relationship. Though in 3-4 years, we’re going to love to see it go, and hate to see it leave…

3. Allen says:

I don’t hate the Trop. It is very comfortable and enjoyable to watch a game there. I can see how it could be much improved, but I don’t hate it.

4. pughboy says:

Totally agree Nick. A retractable roof is a minimum requirement when they build.

5. Burn H. says:

If only there was a way to get natural turf at the Trop, it would be OK. The location for many would still be bad, but it’s closer for me than Tampa.

I have never heard ONE fan at a Rays game say they were uncomfortable or couldn’t see, and believe me the 3rd floor view is the BEST in baseball for cheap seats…in fact I’ve never heard a Rays Player say they Hated playing at the Trop, all the other Team players,fans and news media don’t count.
    Give me my Trop, a cold Bud and good baseball on a 92degree day in florida and I’m one happy camper and 90+% of the fans agree.. no matter what you have heard…..

7. Drew says:

From his comments it doesn’t sound like he is blaming his poor performance on anything. He is just saying he doesn’t like the Trop. Some people do, some people don’t.

8. Geoff Peterson says:

The Sox must teach a class on crying in the media and deflecting blame for your inadequacies.

9. J 2.0 says:

If everyone likes the Trop so much, THEN GO TO THE GAMES!!! I like the temperature inside the stadium, I like the view. I hate all of the tarped obstructed view seats, I hate how steril it is inside, I hate the fact that at 2pm on a Sunday afternoon you have no clue if it is day or night outside, I hate those stupid friggin’ catwalks, I hate the fact I can sit in left field and could literally have a conversation with someone sitting firstbase line just by raising our voices, I hate how it is dirty and stinks in most parts of the stadium, but I do love the Rays.

We need a new stadium people. Retractable roof is not feasible, too expensive to build/operate. We simply need a more intimate indoor stadium that features much much much more natural light with nicer features and amenities. And as a St Pete resident, IT NEEDS TO BE IN TAMPA!

10. Dragon says:

I wonder what his stats were against Rays pitchers in Fenway. Prior to 2008, every apposing player loved playing at the Trop, because they were facing pre-2008 pitchers. Now, they are facing very good pitchers, which makes offensive numbers go down. I don’t think Middlebrooks hates the Trop as much as he hates facing the guy on the mound at the Trop.