Joe Maddon and Andrew Friedman sat down with Peter Gammons for a tag-team interview. You can see the highlights below in which they spend a good deal of time discussing how Maddon ended up with the Rays, why he stays with the team, and what the organization’s philosophies are. But one quote from Maddon in particular stood out when asked about letting players develop. This is particularly relevant in the case of Wil Myers and when we might expect him to be promoted…

“I think sometimes the industry gets impatient. When things aren’t going well you become impatient. You want to pull somebody before it is their time to be here. And that’s really dangerous. Because the real problem is to send somebody backwards or to really impact in a negative way his confidence. That’s sometimes insurmountable. You really can’t get that back. Or it takes a long time or you have to have another organization get that back. Of course, you don’t want to keep them in the oven too long or down there too long, because that can work against you also.”

Friedman went on to add that the team’s success also complicates matters, and that they want to minimize the amount of development needed at the big league level because “unlike most teams,we are counting on these guys to help us win.”

1. Amanda says:

I’d rather have him start the season in the minors than be shut down at the end of the season. (See: Strasburg, Stephen)

• Lane Meyer says:

That’s not as big an issue with a position player but I’d still prefer he work on making better contact at Durham for a while and then come here around June if he’s ready. He still has less than a season of experience at AAA.

• Alex says:

You’re comparing a starting pitcher, coming off major elbow reconstruction, to a position player? Yea that just doesn’t even….no

2. Brianknowsbest says:

I agree, the only way I think he should comes up if he has a 2001Albert Pujols Spring.

Picture looks like “Grandpa” and the “kid”..guess whos boss?

4. Craig says:

I think we could be seeing a similar discussion next year: “When will we see Myers called up for good?” Best be patient all around. How many seasons was BJ Upton going to get called up at any moment to be TB’s superstar SS of the future? That took a while and didn’t turn out exactly as anyone predicted.

5. paul says:

Went to see braves at phillies in clearwater today. Perhaps the most pathetic thing I’ve seen in all my time as a rays fan. BJ upton comes up to hit in e first for the braves and I expected a standing O from the tampa bay crowd in Clearwater. I was pumped and started my BJ Upton clap, clap, clap clap clap chant and no one joined in. There was total apathy. This, for a player that carried the rays into their first playoff series. Every one of ABs, they treated him like some AAA player for the Phils. TB fans, YOU SUCK!!! Phillies fans that live in TB, this should be your second best team and you should thank BJ. Good luck in Atl BJ. You’re in a better place. Go Braves and go BJ.