1Some worrisome news out of Rays camp this morning as it was announced that Evan Longoria has left the team to be with his girlfriend, Jaime Edmondson, who is being induced into labor six weeks early. They originally had a due date of April 1 for their daughter.

There is no word yet on what may have caused the doctors to choose this route. But having gone through two pregnancies in our family, I can tell you a doctor would not induce this early unless there were complications.

From what I understand, the two most common reasons for inducing at this stage are Preeclampsia, which is a situation in which the mother has developed high-blood pressure, and intrauterine growth restriction, which just means the baby is not as big as the doctors would like.

I am not trying to speculate on what happened here. And really, it is none of our business. But there are a lot of Rays fans that are concerned and wondering what is going on. And I am just explaining some of the more common reasons why this might have happened.

So keep Longoria and Edmondson in your thoughts today and let’s hope everything is ok.

1. DRR says:

I am far from an expert, but the fact that she is being induced and not having an emergency c-section is a good sign. Unless something really bad has already happened, of course.

Best of luck to everyone involved.

• Beth says:

That’s a good point – a true emergency would have merited surgery. And babies at 34 week gestation have excellent prognoses. As a parent of a preemie, I really understand how they must feel.

2. JF says:

Another possibility is that her water broke.

3. Dre says:

Longo tweeted not long ago thanking everyone for both the support and their privacy, with a hashtag of BabyLongo. Call me sappy, but I am hoping that the fact he is able to jump on twitter shows that there is optimism to be had.

4. Lane Meyer says:

Best of health to Mom and baby

5. Chuck in SoFla says:

Best of Luck Jamie and Longo! My wife and I are a couple of months behind you, so I get how nerve-wracking any burble in the process can be!

6. Mr.Smith 1980 says:

My wife is an ultrasound tech (and we’ve had 4 babies of our own), and this sort of thing will typically happen if the mother’s amniotic fluid is getting low and there is fear of lack of nutrition for the baby or the possibility of the womb becoming toxic (due to feces) as a result…

7. Mike says:

FINALLY!!! I get to see Evan ( or any Rays player) in a jersey with the words “Tampa Bay” on it. I guess that’s too much to ask of the Rays.