97722661JG006_TAMPA_BAY_RAYJon Paul Morosi of FoxSports.com spoke with David Price about his future with the Rays. And while this is basically the same thing Price said a month ago, this is probably going to be a big story today. In addition to saying he’s “not taking a discount” when it comes to a long-term deal, Price explains why it is so important that he get as much money as possible…

“I don’t play this game for the money, but I don’t want to be underappreciated…What I’ve done for this organization so far, I feel like I’ve helped this organization a great deal. So if they want to show me some appreciation, then fine.”

If that sounds familiar, it is because Price said almost the exact same thing back in January

“I want to be happy. I don’t want to sell myself short. I guess ‘appreciation’ is the word I could use the most. I just want to feel appreciated.”

Like we explained back in January, to the top-tier players, the actual money is not as important as the symbolism of how much they make. To them it is a sign of where they rank amongst their peers. And to them it is a sign of how much the team appreciates what the players means to them.

If you are looking for a silver lining, you can take comfort in another quote from the same story, in which Price says he wouldn’t sign a long-term contract with the Yankees because of their old-school rules (e.g. no beards allowed). “I was born in ’85,” said Price. “That’s not for me. That’s not something I want to be a part of.”

Of course, this probably makes Price’s agent cringe. And player looking for a $200 million will have an easier time if the Yankees are at least in on the bidding.

1. Alex says:

Price just stop talking. Please. Just let us appreciate you while we can and go away when your contract is up. Stop with this bs about money not being important. If it wasn't about money you would stay here on a discount, if you truly love it here. Being appreciated and playing for money are the same thing. Whether you say they are or not

• Rob says:

I hope this doesn't become a distraction. Everyone knows it is 99.99% given that Price will not be here 2-3 years from now. Reporters need to quit asking the same question over and over, expecting a different answer. Price could really demonstrate some maturity and leadership by discounting that question in the future, explaining he has already answered it and that his position is clear. Don't ruin this season looking ahead to other seasons.

• Cork Gaines says:

What I am hoping at this point is that this is a plan to get reporters to stop asking the question. If he just uses the same quote over and over, maybe it will no longer be enticing to ask him. And even if they do ask again, at some point the reporters will realize they can't keep writing the same article over and over. In other words, let it be a distraction now, and hope it won't be down the road.

Or maybe this is just wishful thinking.

2. Lane Meyer says:

Respect, Appreciation... Blah, blah, blah. That means money. Just say what you mean David. I think there are very few Rays fans that don't appreciate you, so it's definitely not that.

3. Marc says:

Can I go to my boss and ask for a few million dollar raise, then when I get declined can I threaten to quit because I feel unappreciated? Oh right....I do a job that actually matters but can still be easily replaced.

4. Bill says:

Sorry folks but I'm with David. Rays talk about the environment and how guys love to play here all the time. But at the end of the day, how many are ever willing to take millions less to do so? None of us would either. You also have to consider the players' association and that whole dynamic. He has earned the right to say what he thinks. If he have vague, ambiguous answers, we would all be posting about how that means he will take a Rays discount. Then when he didn't, we would good him for years. All I hear him saying is that he expects to be paid what he's worth. He is using diplomatic words like, "appreciation" because if he just said it I did, we or the media would say he has ego issues.

Bottom line, this is going to continue. And in my opinion David cannot win with whatever answers he gives - even if he refuses to answer. We want him to focus on baseball? Then we should do the same. We should ignore this topic until after the WS.

5. Gus says:

I worry that he is thumbing his nose at the baseball gods with all of this and will come down with arm trouble. He needs to stay focused, pitch well, and the money will be there for him.

This may also be the outgrowth of seeing Shields shipped out. He knows that there is no loyalty in this business.

He is a great guy and we'd all love to have him forever. But $25M a year is crazy or any franchise, but especially for the Rays.

• Bill says:

You just hit on something with the loyalty word. Teams, fans and media all talk about these players as assets, not people. We talk about the value we got for Shields, as if he is a stock commodity or something. That's absolutely the smart way to run a team. But it's contradictory to turn around and ask the asset to apply a concept like loyalty, a human personal trait, not an attribute by which we measure assets. Food for thought.

• Mr.Smith 1980 says:

So concise.
        So right.

If Cork ever starts a blog contributor awards process (maybe "The Index Awards") then I nominate this comment for the coveted "Right on the Money (pun intended)" award.

6. Dave L says:

I have absolutely no problem with anything David said. I am an adult I don't believe in fairy tales. I'm a fan but I don't believe he is playing for me or the mythical region of Tampa Bay.

He owes us absolutely nothing. Because of the MLB system he has been underpaid compared to his performance as all young great players are. The only part of what he said that stirred any emotion in me was his aversion to playing for the pinstripers. I liked the sound of that.

7. Matt says:

Pitch his arm off trade high make it someone else's problem. Get the most while you can leave the scraps for the rest. Scorched Earth Policy!

8. Drew says:

Bottom line: does he want the money more or does he want to stay with the Rays more? Sounds like he wants the money more. The recent Longoria extension proves the Rays FO is willing to be loyal to players who want to do the same. I think Evan realizes he is in a great situation and also doesn't want to handicap the franchise financially, let alone risk going to another franchise and not have as much fun there. It's all the player's choice.

• Mr.Smith 1980 says:

Good point, but E-Lo was the exception not the rule.

• Bill says:

E-Lo also had some risk that he passed on to the Rays by accepting this contract. Another major injury and at best he will have an injury stigma affecting his contract value. And I think sitting around for half a season made the possibility of an career ending injury seem very real to him. I don't mean this at all to take away from the commitment he made by signing this. But there were other drivers beyond his love for the organization.

9. angry buddha says:

Everyone involved - the Rays brass, Price, his agent, and savvy fans - know that the way his contract is structured means he'll almost definitely get traded before it's up. My read is that he and the team have already agreed that there will be an impasse when they get to long-term planning and that he's gone. No ambiguity there...

...So they put together this deal that protects the team against some ridiculous high arbitration numbers, he sticks around a good team that could win something in the near term, then he goes somewhere to get paid.... by someone else.

In that scenario, the team gets young players in return (the next Odorizzi / Archer / etc. to replenish the arms in the high-minors) and the Rays rinse and repeat.

The only people who don't get it - or don't want to report it - are the reporters who ask these questions.

If everyone's honest, this is what you get:

Reporter: same hackneyed question
    Price: I like my current contract and we structured it so I can leave when I need to. We know someone else will pay me more and I'll take it. But I hope to win a World Series with Tampa Bay before I go.

Reporter: same hackneyed question [this time to Andrew Friedman]
    Andrew: We can't afford David long term and we all know that. We've put together the best deal we're willing to offer and we've built it so we're not penalized when we trade him. He's going to get paid by someone else and we'll probably get a boatload of prospects when we trade him away. We hope we can win a World Series before he goes.

10. Burn H. says:

We are the Rays just except the fact that we aren't a bottomless money pit. We get to watch young men become baseball stars. Lets be happy that the front office is keeping us competitive with the big dollar teams and revel in our success. Keep on keeping on RAYS!!!!

I think Price ought to play here for 1/2 (price), thats the least thing he can do for Friedman & Stuie, who are going to do their best to rob him the next few years,while he labors here for their entertainment, and more profits...

12. Beazy says:

Well, let's just say that you can't put a "Price" on happiness. I'll never know about turning down as much money, BUT I don't care who would say what, I would much rather have a mansion on the bay like Jeter, w/ a boat, a couple expensive cars, surrounded by a million of my closest friends, THEN live in Minnesota or KC or anywhere else w/ a bigger bank account...

• Will says:

He wouldn't live in Twin Cities if he played for the Twins. Very few of the players actually live here during the off season. On the other hand, I've lived in Minneapolis for 10 years and it is one of the most underrated cities in the country. Don't knock it until you've tried it. :)

• Beazy says:

You live(d) there, and now I take it you live here(?). Let's just say, if you like the cold, going to a huge mall, and playing on a lake then enjoying living & playing for the Twins is for you; If you like warm weather, going to Ybor City (lol), and playing on "America's best beaches" then playing for the Rays is for Price. Bottom line is get-in-where-you-fit-in, and money doesn't buy more happiness...

• Beazy says:

And, the Rays are going to compete more years for championships then most other teams w/ or w/out Price in the next decade or 2...

• Will says:

I currently live in Minneapolis, but have been a Rays fan for almost 10 years. I like four seasons which includes cold, cool, warm and hot. Variety is king.

13. Dave L says:

I hate to splash cold water on some peoples romantic view of pro atheletes but here are some facts. DP is from Tennessee went to High school and college there. Now he is an elite sports performer who spends 1 month a year in Spring traing somewhere in FL or AZ then six to 7 months flying all around the country virtually 7 days a week performing his craft. He has a short window of opportunity to make incredible amounts of money. He has performed for the Tampa Bay team and lived here for parts of 5 years with his few months off he has the means to go wherever he wants and do whatever he pleases.

The difference between what someone will overpay versus what the Rays will conservatively offer him is in the $10's of millions of dollars and for a shorter term that the Rays would risk. Its a no brainer.

Minnesota and KC are are both fine places i have been to them both. They are not sub-saharan africa. Wherever he goes if he performs well he will be cheered and if he sucks with the zillions he will be making he will get booed.

Id rather enjoy the relatively cheap young hungry Price then say bye and let someone else overpay him. Then we cheer for the 5 young hungry guys we get in return. Thats how the Rays operate so get used to it and embrace it or continue to grit your teeth and get frustrated and disillusioned.

14. Will says:

Most athletes, not all, are young and dumb. The way he is talking doesn’t surprise me, but it leaves me saying “give me an effing break!” I would think we would all agree that in life happiness is our goal. He goes on and on about how great an environment and team this is. He goes on and on about how other teams don’t get it and he wouldn’t want to pitch there.

Price, you want to be appreciated? If you really want to be appreciated then re-sign with the Rays for an amount that will be much less than you’ll get some where else, but is still enough to live a good life after baseball. This will give you the opportunity to continue to lead this team and it’s pitching staff. If you do this I guarantee you’ll be appreciated by the team, teammates, fans and the world of baseball. Quit worrying about what the other guy makes because in the end that doesn’t matter. What matters is the legacy you leave and you have an opportunity of leaving one heck of a legacy with the Rays. If you leave for more money with another team (and more than likely be unhappy like the guys you mention) you’ll be like every other superstar pitcher.

15. Rayalan says:

David - Is being happy where you are not important to you? Try talking to Crawford. After a while the money is just stupidly ridiculous. What does any one need? They all need to take into account what the Rays have done for them as well. Their system has a lot to do with their success. What does loyalty count for? It is nothing but ego, pure and simple. I have never heard ego making anyone happy ultimately.

Its one thing if the Rays have this fabulous income stream and refuse to share it with the players. It is quite another when everyone knows how limited the Rays are in a small market with questionable attendance support.

16. Charlie-Ray says:

This is ALL about money and not the being important BS. It is only about MONEY. You would stay here on a discount. Knowing the MONEY we spend on you in proporation to the clubs that have the $$$$$, is way more in proportion than they will be paying you. The money we spend is a bigger value in % than the others. Being appreciated and playing for money are the same thing whether you say they are or not. Wake up and smell the roses, not the Money $$$$$