Here are some odds and ends to close out the week…
- The Rays signed three players to minor league contracts with invites to Spring Training, including catcher Craig Albernaz, outfielder Jason Bourgeois, and right-hander J.D. Martin.
- The Rays have also extended spring training invites to current minor leaguers Marquis Fleming (RHP), Kirby Yates (RHP), Adam Liberatore (LHP), and Mark Thomas (C).
- This year’s Hall of Fame voting was very telling for several players that have been on the ballot for at least 5 years. Here is how those players are trending. [BI Sports]
- And oh by the way, the Hall of Fame already has one player enshrined who openly used steroids to prolong his career. And not only did the media not crucify him, they actually encouraged it. [BI Sports]
- One baseball writer says it is his job as “judge and jury” when it comes to Hall of Fame candidates who may have used steroids. [BI Sports]
- About 20 years after the NFL started putting wireless communication into the helmets of quarterbacks, Major League Baseball will now have cell phones in the dugout in order to communicate with the bullpen. [ESPN]
- And because some baseball fans are so scared of change, many actually think cell phones in the dugouts is a terrible thing. Those same people don’t realize that baseball’s refusal to modernize is why football is kicking its ass. [PopTip]
- “Jake McGee’s fastball has turned into one of the league’s best pitches.” [Fangraphs]
- BRaysball Talk says the Rays “need” Matt Morse. [BRaysball Talk]
- Lynn Austin did a lengthy sit-down with Todd Kalas. [98.7 The Fan]
- The bucs lost an assistant coach. [JoeBucsFan]