About a month ago we learned that the Rays were adding the long-anticipated sunburst logo cap. Well, Marc Topkin has the first picture and it comes with a surprise: TWO sunburst logo caps.  The cap on the left will be worn most days. The cap on the right is the “alternate” (overkill much?).

It is not the best picture ever. I think it is safe to assume that the “black” is actually navy, including the outline around the sunburst on the right.

1-22-2013 11-13-42 AM

1. Joe D. says:

I think I like them… I like the lighter one, with darker trim, but is it just me (maybe the picture), or do they look a little cartoon-ish? Like you go to lids or hat shack, and they’ll be in line w/ the spiderman, batman, and superman hats?

2. Joe D. says:

Also, they look like the regular on field cap (Fitted — New Era’s 59 series) not the mesh caps (stretch fit — 39 series, I think) that have been the spring/bp caps for a number of years now.

3. Michael says:

I called the team store in downtown Tampa, talked to their head of merchandising. She said they expect to get them in around Feb 22, first they will get the fitted kind and then shortly after that the stretchy 39 series

4. Alex says:

Awful. These compete with the 4th of July hats year after year for worst looking hats.

5. Brent says:

Though I wished the top and the brim were the same color, their pretty bad ass…

6. Alicia says:

Sadly, I do not like either of them. I prefer the TB hats!

7. Mobula says:

Cartoonish. I would like to see a real Ray on the hat.

8. Rob says:

Awful… Ditching the TB logo is really an unsettling precedent for the future of this franchise.

9. Brent says:

Are we the only team in baseball to have to symbols, and I’m not talking about including the letters that usually appears on the hats as 1, I’m talking about real symbols in the word “Rays” with the sunburst, and the (devil)ray they have on their sleeve(?)…

• Alex says:

No. Look at the link I provided. There are plenty of teams with just symbols or mascots on the hats. If you are talking about regular uniforms then yes pretty much every team has a symbol or logo on their jersey and in their name.