Jeff Keppinger is now officially a former member of the Rays, agreeing to a 3-year deal worth “about” $12 million with the White Sox. [MLBTR]

1. Rob says:

Ugh, add Keppinger to the list of guys we hear about from Don every time we lose.

2. Dave L says:

So I guess the Rays are banking on 2012 being a fluke year for him like Kotchman's was in 2011.

The most glaring deficiency about the 2013 developing roster is a complete lack of power.

They cant be done yet.

• KT says:

I don't think Kepp is going to fall off a cliff, but he will not be as phenomenal as he was this past year. That said, I don't think it would have been wise to sign him to a 3 year deal like this.

You're right we need power, I'm really hoping they manage to get it done somehow.

3. don says:

Rays take it in the A-- again....let me hear "we can't score runs in the middle of the summer" please let me hear it....

4. don says:

One more...then I'm done.... for what the Rays payed S. Rodriquez ($1mil.) and B. Roberts ($3mil), they could have Kepp.....ARE YOU KIDDING ME??

• KT says:

How'd Kotchman do last year?

• Beth says:

I don't think Don understands. The issue for the Rays isn't finding the $4 million to pay Keppinger in 2013.

It's having to find the $13 million to pay him over three years. DFA'ing Rodriguez and Roberts doesn't get you to that long term contract.

And imagine if the Rays would have done a deal like that. When in 2015 Keppinger was hitting .220 with no power, the Don's of the world would be screaming about the $4 million we were obligated to pay him.

• KT says:

Spot on. I just like having a little fun with the lil' guy, since logical explanations such as yours go by the wayside.

• Don says:

The problem with the Beths & Kt's as so called Fans they are always telling you why the Rays can't pay Good players, so just let them go, but when the Rays do something dumb like spending $7 mil on Pena (.200) or 5mil. on Scott (.220) or $3mil on Roberts (.220) they never open their mouth how foolish the Rays spend their money....
            But you will hear it from ole Don ....not to pay Kepp $12mil for 3 years is STUPID STUPID STUPID

5. Dave L says:

Whats interesting is that the Yanks apparently in the bidding but Jeff chose Chicago

6. Dave L says:

"The Chicago White Sox, having signed Jeff Keppinger to man third base for them for the next three years, may now venture out onto the trade market, tweets Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com"

An everyday third baseman? Good luck

• don says:

WOuld I want Kepp. as an everyday 3rd baseman for the next 3 years, probably Not, but would I like Him on my team, playing 1st B. subbing at 3rd/2nd and DH for 3 years...HELL yes... $4mil yr is nothing...he could teach our (non) hitters H0w to make contact with a baseball...Maddon, Sheldon can't... How much ($) do those two Morons make...