I have been on record here and elsewhere that I would love to see Alfonso Soriano as an outfielder-slash-DH with the Rays. And now we have a better idea about how much it would cost.

According to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com, the Cubs are willing to eat $26 million of the $36 million he has left on his contract over the next two seasons. That means he would only cost $5 million this year and $5 million next year.

Of course, with the Cubs willing to pay nearly 75% of the money Soriano is still owed, they are going to also want one or two decent young players in return. There was one rumor that the Cubs were interested in outfielder Dominic Brown from the Phillies in exchange for Soriano. Brown is probably somewhere between Matt Joyce and Brandon Guyer.

So, would you give up Guyer and another player for two years of Soriano at a cheap price? What about Alex Torres or Hak-Ju Lee for Soriano?

1. Joe says:

They just want him gone, I don’t think they will ask for Lee or Archer back/ MAYBE Archer but as for Lee, they got Castro

2. dan r says:

Love the symbolism of trading back Cubs prospects for a Cubs major leaguer. . . not sure if I love the idea of Soriano here, it appears, from the outside, that this clubhouse may be tipping over with more guys with prior issues, than players without. . . several “chemistry” guys gone from last year, is he a good “clubhouse guy”?

• Toby says:

Theo wasn’t sure about Soriano when he came over from the Sox, but he’s been nothing but impressed by his work ethic and his contribution to chemistry in the locker room.

• Brandon S says:

Dan,

He is a great clubhouse guy. I would be sad to see him go. He is one of the hardest workers on the team, and really cares about winning. I think the Rays would be lucky to get him. Im a Diehard Cubs fan.

3. Jeff says:

Yes. Power.

4. MrDewMaster says:

Lets do this. We need offense to help get the fans out to watch games.

5. Joe says:

We should trade Archer and Lee for Garza haha

6. Rob says:

I would trade Guyer this second, but would I have to think twice about trading Lee – he has way too much upside.

• Joe says:

I just don’t know, Guyer is not the next Hamilton but I feel like him, Archer and Lee are all too much for a guy the Cubs try to trade every year.

• Rob says:

Eh, Guyer is already 26 and hasn’t done anything yet. 27 is statistically players’ best years, so I don’t know that I would expect too much out of him if he hasn’t shown flashes of production (he turns 27 in January).

7. Rob says:

Just announced – Hamilton will join Pujols and Trout out in LA. That’s a sick lineup if everyone performs to their ability.

• Joe says:

I want Trumbo or Morales…..for the 2nd straight year, they are my targets

• Sean says:

Felt the same. Go get Trumbo…good contract and big bat. Hell, I know we all like to play GM but trading Odorizzi and another prospect to the Angels who need pitching could be enough to entice them to get it done.

8. MrDewMaster says:

With Evan out last season we could have had Soriano at the trading deadline and I’m pretty confident if we had got him we would have made the playoffs. I love the Rays but honestly I hate one run games. Offense brings in the fans imo.

9. liam says:

I’m a Cubs fan here.

Soriano is a great clubhouse worker, and a hard worker. Also, up until this year I was in the “just release him, we’ll be better off” camp. Look at the fact that he didn’t have a single error this year as a way to see that he can actually field.

I’ll take a guy like Guyer or Archer back for him. Definitely Archer. We gave up DeRosa to get him. Still not over that…..

I’m jealous of your teams success by the way.

• Cork Gaines says:

1) yes, Soriano has been much better defensively in recent years

2) I think you nailed where negotiations would start. My guess is the Cubs would ask for Archer and the Rays would offer either Guyer (+ a lesser prospect) or Torres. That’s not a terribly wide gap. But I also think the Rays would prefer to hold onto Archer for now.

• Greg says:

No way the Rays trade another pitcher after moving Shields and Davis. Price will probably be the next pitcher to go (next winter).

10. deezy333 says:

I would rather kick the tires on Willingham, Morse and Kubel in that order before thinking of trading for Soriano.

Soriano is still the same type of player that he’s always been. Doesn’t walk, strikes out too much, questionable defense, low average and good power. His metrics almost perfectly mirror Mike Morse, yet Morse is only a one year commitment, is much younger, and could cost less in a trade.

Maybe Guyer and Torres?

• Tom says:

I love Willingham but do you still think the Twins will move him after trading Revere and Span?

• deezy333 says:

Apparently Phillies were trying to include Willingham in the Revere trade but they didn’t have enough pitching to make such a deal. Twins would be foolish not to make him available considering he’s signed for two more years and I highly doubt they are going to be competitive in that span. I like Willingham much better than any FA or hitters speculated to be available. Rays really liked him last offseason before he signed.

11. Craig says:

I guess I’ve underestimated the value (or at least asking price) of some of the remaining free agents. I thought Berkman or even Swisher might be within grasp, someone to platoon at 1st and DH primarily. I wouldn’t want Soriano unless he could be had for a song. Sure, the Cubs would eat most his contract, but I don’t think I’d be willing to give much for him in the way of prospects.

12. CC says:

Guyer for Soriano. No way on Archer. Archie has some nasty stuff.We still are going to have to win with pitching.

13. Sean says:

Rays do things cheap and for the most part, they do it right. Taking on Soriano is probably not the best thing to do. Angels and Nats have some bats (provided LaRoche resigns with Nats). Trade for Morse or Trumbo and give up some pitching prospects.

14. Sledge says:

How about this. Guyer and one of our prospects that is out of options (Giminez or Brignac maybe?). Not sure what Cubs needs are, but I think it is worth some risk with our position prospects which we are notoriously bad at developing. I agree with the sentiment that we don’t trade any pitching – too many good things possible with a Torres to let him go. Archer is clearly a no.

15. TOM says:

How about Nieman, Beckham, Guyer & one of our top minor league pitchers for Stanton.

• Joe says:

Marlins are quite dumb but their 2 brain cells they have left will see “HORRIBLE DEAL” all over that offer.

• Craig says:

I read a blurb about why now was the time to trade Stanton away. The writer’s reason for this was the assessments he’d been given that indicated Stanton could generate massive returns. I believe he referred to it as “another Herschel Walker trade.” My point being even if the fish traded away Stanton he could single-handedly decimate a team’s farm system, not a likely scenario for the Rays to embrace. I appreciate, like me, you’re a dreamer though.

• Sean says:

Again…long range is that money will always be an issue. Agree with a purging of a farm system for someone like Stanton. LaRoche can be had for a 3 year deal and probably 10 million per. Probably too pricey but I would rather see him at 10 million per than Pena who bombed making the same dough…albeit for 1 yr.

16. Joe says:

I think out of the guys out of options, Torres has the most value. If someone wants to give us Soriano, Trumo or Morales for him, then Friedman’d!

17. Dave L says:

Last time we picked up a seasoned Cubs slugger who strikes out alot and whos best days were behind him, how’d that work out?

Just say no to Soriano at any price i get the felling a power outage is coming. But I have to admit the options are dwindling and seeing Ryan Roberts presently penciled in at DH is not a comforting alternative.