One more relevant topic from Knobler and his speculation on the possibility of trading David Price

Some Rays people have even identified the Rangers as the team that could provide them with the biggest return in the areas they need most. What if the Rangers, always in search of a true No. 1 starter, offered young shortstop Jurickson Profar, a young pitcher like Martin Perez and an outfielder (perhaps David Murphy)?…I don’t know that the Rangers would do it. I do know that when they said they wouldn’t trade either Profar or Elvis Andrus for Justin Upton, Rangers people suggested that they could be more open to moving a shortstop if a true No. 1 starter was the prize they got back.

Would you trade Price for that package? Jurickson Profar is definitely the star of the proposed trade. He is 19 and is the seventh-best prospect in baseball according to Baseball America and spent the 2012 season in double-A. Martin Perez is a 21-year-old lefty that was rated as the 31st best prospect by Baseball America. But he doesn’t seem like the type of pitcher the Rays typically covet (swing-and-miss pitchers).David Murphy is a player the Rays typically like to have around (good on-base, good glove, a little speed), but he is a free agent after the 2013 season.

Profar and Murphy make sense. Would the Rangers give that up for Jeremy Hellickson? Probably not.

1. Joe D. says:

Prof. All the talk about the Rays moving a pitcher, what do the likelihood it actually happens? It seems like a lot of noise, for something that wouldn't happen, then again the Rays rarely move a, pitcher... The only ones I can think of is, Edwin Jackson, and Kaz, the Rays pretty rode and gave away Hammel, Talbot, and Sonny. But the, guys being discussed this go around even Davis, I think are a more elite breed than even Kaz, and EJax were.

• Cork Gaines says:

At the end of the season, I would have said there was a 10% chance a starting pitcher got traded. But things feel different this winter. There is more chatter than usual. And there is some feelings out there that the Rays are not only willing to move a starter, but that they may actually be looking for big league offense over prospects. That would be a big change from what we have seen in the past, and until it happens I am a little skeptical. But right now if I had to put a number on trading a pitcher I'd say it is closer to 50% than 10%. They still need another team willing to pay the price. And the price is going to be big. But I do get a feeling something is going to happen.

• Joe D. says:

If it's a guy like Price, Helly, or Shields, (especially Price), I'm thinking it's gotta be, a ML ready prospect, and like 4 others.

Your right, and I didn't realize, the likely likelihood, and departure it would be for the Rays, getting a top ML ready or established ML hitter.

Is the tide turning now that the "market" deficiency for the Rays to exploit is now offense? We saw this year all the copy cat defensive alignments, and we've also seen the, Rays spending more high round picks on hitters it seems

2. Dustin says:

As much as it would (or will, sooner or later) suck to lose Price, the Rays are not going to be able to afford his salary much longer. Getting the likes of Profar and Perez (whose AA K/9 rates of 9 and 8.5 suggest he might have at least a bit of swing-and-miss ability as he moves up the system, particularly if he gains a bit more command, which is totally possible as the guy's only 21 years old) in return would certainly soften the blow. I know this is mostly speculation, but I'm not so sure I wouldn't want the Rays to pull the trigger on a deal like this.

3. LaneMeyer says:

I would want Andrus, Young, their best pitching prospect and their best catching prospect for Price. Even then, why should we trade with Texas? It would make more sense to send him to an NL team that could provide what we need like Washington, Pittsburgh, etc.

4. Geo Hawthe says:

If Cole Hamels got $144 million, Price's market is at least that if not more. If the Rays dont trade Price he will easily walk away and easily get over 20m per year, Rays could never put an offer on the table for Price without embarrassing themselves. As for what he is worth? I dunno.. seems like the maigc trades happen elsewhere lately. Boston and Miami have firesales with all their bad contracts and people bite on those. Rays, from what I understand, havent had a decent trade offer for any of their pitchers in 2 - 3 years. I just fear they will have to let Price just walk.

Rays can't beat the Rangers now in the playoffs, give Nolan Ryan Price that assures the Rays of losing in the 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs for the next 10+years....