RAYS 4, Orioles 1 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Evan Longoria. Longo hit 3 home runs for the second time in his career, and took a curtain call after the final, something we don’t see very often at The Trop…Fernando Rodney. One last arrow from Rodney’s quiver for the 2012 season. And the result was a MLB record for ERA by a relief pitcher (min. 50ip). In the history of baseball, no reliever has ever posted an ERA as low as Rodney’s 0.60. Wow…Winning 90. Last night’s game may have been meaningless in terms of the postseason for the Rays, but you could tell the Rays played hard. Part of that was respecting the game as it was important for the Orioles. And part of that was a desire to hit that 90-win mark for the 4th times in the last 5 years.
THE BAD: Good Byes. Last night may end up being the last time we see several prominent players in a Rays uniform. BJ Upton is almost certainly gone. Carlos Pena will only be back if he takes a huge paycut. And based on a ratio of trade value-to-talent, I’d say Jeremy Hellickson is more likely to be traded this off-season than James Shields. Of course, I also wouldn’t be surprised if the Rays kept all of their starters. But if there is one guy that other teams will be willing to pay the asking price, I’d bet on Helleboy.
THE TELLING: This was the first time since 2007 that the Rays won their final game of the season…Dan Johnson also hit 3 home runs in the White Sox’ game 162. They were his first home runs of the season.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- One of the great things about The Trop, from a television perspective, is the opportunity to present the game of baseball from angles not usually seen. And as much as I love Sun Sports, they don’t take advantage of this as much as other networks. For example, check out this view of Chris Davis’ home run from Tuesday. [BI Sports]
- Bobby Valentine could be fired as early as today. [BI Sports]
- Luke Scott is going to take out his frustrations on “God’s furry little creatures.” [@HallerDave]
- Noah Pransky noticed some additions to this week’s story on the Channelside stadium proposal. [Shadow of the Stadium]
- A profile on Laura McKeeman. [MyFoxTampaBay.com]
- Making a case for Miguel Cabrera for AL MVP. [BI Chart]