Guess what?! St. Pete Mayor Bill Foster will not let the Rays look for a new stadium in Hillsborough County. Shocking, right? And what is Foster’s reasoning? Stuart Sternberg knew the Rays situation was a mess when he bought the team and well, tough s*t.
Here is a snippet of a letter Mayor Foster wrote to Sternberg (via TBO.com)…
“When you became the principal owner of the Rays in 2005, you did so with your eyes wide open, fully aware of this history, and with full knowledge of the commitments made by your predecessors just ten years earlier.”
But maybe my favorite part of the story is the picture used by the Tampa Tribune editors (above). It reminds me of this.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Rich Thompson, who was removed from the 40-man roster last week, has chosen free agency over a demotion to the minors.
- Scott Boras says it is unlikely that Jeremy Hellickson or Desmond Jennings will sign a long-term deal with the Rays. Marc Topkin also writes that Rays are likely to extend a qualifying offer to BJ Upton and he is likely to turn it down (which will be worth a draft pick for the Rays). [TampaBay.com]
- Meanwhile, it was the World Series, so it was time for Bud Selig to make his annual comments on the Rays stadium situation. He’s disappointed, blah, blah, blah, but still offers no solution or indication that MLB will get involved. [TampaBay.com]
- Noah Pranksy has more on the stadium situation. [Shadow of the Stadium]
- Carl Crawford was finally introduced in Los Angeles and says he felt pressure from Red Sox fans to play hurt. [Larry Brown Sports]
- Our old friend Pat Burrell may have tried to beat up
Roland HedleyJon Heyman. [Deadspin]
- Another old friend, Manny Ramirez, might be taking his post-big league train to Japan to play baseball. Well, I guess that would be a boat. [NYPost]
- I know a lot of you want Jeff Keppinger back, but don’t think other teams didn’t notice what he did this season. And that means Keppinger is no longer a buy-low candidate. Here’s one story saying he will be a good fit for the Pirates. [RantSports]
- Ever wonder why everybody is always yelling at each other on ESPN? [BI Sports]
- Another Bucs defensive back is facing suspension for using Adderrall. [JoeBucsFan]