Playing A Little Pepper

Tonight is likely BJ Upton’s final game in a Rays uniform. Only Carl Crawford has worn it more. Five years from now, how will we remember Bossman Junior?

I doubt it will be much different from now. If he goes to Boston or Miami and blossoms as a hitter, the 2% of the fans that are BJ apologists will say “see, told ya so,” and the 1% of the fans that are haters will say “why didn’t he do that here?” And the rest of us will just smile and be happy for him. And if he fails, it won’t be much different. However, I can say, it seems more and more people truly love BJ more than in years past. Part of that is his better bat. Part is that he hasn’t had many brainfarts this season. But mostly I think people have a better understanding of what he is and the expectations were no longer what they used to be. I for one will miss those chicken legs of his, and wish him the best on the way out the door…NOT MUCH DIFFERENTLY THAN WE SEE HIM NOW

Game Graph

[Will be up at game time]

Source: FanGraphs

Lineup…

1. BJ Upton, CF
  2. Ben Zobrist, SS
  3. Evan Longoria, 3B
  4. Matt Joyce, RF
  5. Brian Roberts, 2B
  6. Carlos Pena, 1B
  7. Sam Fuld, LF
  8. Stephen Vogt, DH
  9. Chris Giminez, C
  10. Jeremy Hellickson, SP

Song to get you pumped up

Tags

Gotta see it one more time….Please BJ…
    SIt there and look at the 3rd strike with men on base,bitch at the ump, stick your finger in your ear, walk back to the dugout shaking your head
    ONE MORE TIME…Hey BJ…Come on Bro..

2. Kelley says:

He’s been my favorite player since 08. Always an Upton apologist and always will be. I’m sad to see him go and I wish him well.

3. Drew says:

Brian Roberts is on the DL…for the O’s haha

4. Ken says:

Count me in the 97% here. I too will miss him and wish him well. He’s 28 and I have a feeling will have many productive years to come. Is there anyone in the Rays system right now that we can pencil in to CF nightly that will provide the defense and the numbers he has put up? In fact, look around the majors, he’s a top 15 CF minimum with his best years ahead. The fact that the Rays can’t afford him only proves we are in a AAAA market. Shields, Price, Hellickson, Zobrist and Longoria will soon follow BJ out the door, what a pity.

5. Dave L says:

He has been such a dynamic player for us in all phases of the game, i think if he continues to play as he has, whoever gets him will be happy.

He seems to be a kind or Rorhsach inkblot type player, where everyone sees what they want to see.

i will continue to root for him wherever he goes like most of the X-Rays.

Its hard to see how we can replace his production, i fear we will fail just as will did with Carl and our offense will suffer even more although that seems impossible to go even lower but I dont see the help on the horizon and our record bringing in bats is not encouraging.

6. TOM says:

We don’t need a player like Upton who produces for two months out of a season especially for 12 or 13 mil. which is what he’ll probably get somewhere maybe more. Thanks but no thankx. Good riddance.