Red Sox 7, RAYS 5 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Ben Zobrist. The Rays have about 36 bats on the team right now, but only one keeps consistently showing up. And that is Ben Zobrist. Last night it was 2 more hits and 4 runs knocked in. In the last 6 games, the Rays have 42 hits, and Zobrist has 10 of them. And the team has scored 22 runs. Zobrist has been directly involved in 11 (3 runs, 8 RBI).
THE BAD: Out of Gas. We kept waiting for the offense to show up and support the great pitching. Well, the pitching finally ran out of steam and now it no longer matters. In the last 8 games, the starting pitchers have worked past the 6th inning just 2 times, and 4 times they couldn’t even finish 5 innings. Their ERA over that span is 4.73 and they have a pedestrian 2:1 strikeout-to-walk ratio. And oh by the way, the Rays are 1-7 in those games.
THE TELLING: At 4:09, this was the second-longest 9-inning game in Rays history…The Rays are now 78-70, 6 games behind the Orioles, 3 games behind the Angels, and yes, a half-game behind the Tigers. At this point, there is a legitimate concern that the Rays won’t even finish with a winning record.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Joe Maddon: “…we need take it upon ourselves and will it to happen, make it happen instead of just expecting it to happen.” [TampaBay.com]
- Gary Shelton calls this season “the most disappointing” and “the most frustrating” Rays season yet. And it is hard to argue against that. [TampaBay.com]
- Martin Fennelly says the Rays “rolled over” and that the season is now done. [TBO.com]
- Jeremy Trueblood has been benched? [JoeBucsFan]
- The Rays got “The Onion” treatment from an Onion knockoff. [etruesports.com]
Matt Joyce’s reaction to this flyball perfectly sums up the 2012 Rays offense….