THE GOOD: Meaningful Games. It is sometimes difficult to see the trees from the forest, or something. So it is difficult to appreciate that the Rays are once again playing meaningful games in September, something we would have killed for just five years ago. And there are a lot of fans out there that would love to be in our shoes and have meaningful games at this time of year. That being said…
THE BAD: The End is Near. Can the Rays still make the playoffs? Sure. But losing 5 of 6 to the two teams in front of them not only hurts their chances dramatically, but it also shows that this team is just not in a good position to make a run. The hitting, which had a resurgence when Evan Longoria returned, is once again struggling (29 games with 1 or no hits through 5 innings). And the pitching which was unhittable, now appears to be tired. And the injuries and extra-inning games (8 in the second half, including 3 that went at least 14 innings) won’t allow Joe Maddon to give anybody the rest they need. And now, what was a 61.3% chance of making the playoffs just 7 days ago, is now 16.0%. Sometimes there is magic. And sometimes it just feels like every bounce is going against your team. This feels like the latter.
THE TELLING: Joe Maddon was ejected for the 4th time this season, and Matt Joyce was the third Rays player to be ejected this season… Sam Fuld left the game with a hamstring injury. He is hoping that he won’t be out “too long”…As expected, Sean Rodriguez was activated on Saturday, but is limited in what he can do…With Chris Archer having to pitch in extra innings against the O’s, Alex Cobb will start tonight against the Red Sox. He’ll be followed by Jeremy Hellickson, Chris Archer, and David Price.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Here’s video Joe Maddon telling the ump “you’re wrong” about a dozen times before getting ejected. And then after getting tossed, Maddon calmly walked out of the dugout and yelled “What the F*CK is your problem?” [RI Videos]
- Dave Martinez interviewed for the Astros managerial job. He would seem to be a strong candidate as all signs seem to indicate that the new Astros owner wants to emulate the Rays. [TBO.com]
- The Rays hosted a pizza party at the MLB Fan Cave in Manhattan. [MLB.com]
- BRaysBallTalk has some more details about the 2013 schedule. [BRaysballTalk]
- The Bucs came close, but like the Rays, fell in New York. Joe has all the information you need. [JoeBucsFan]