RAYS 5, Yankees 2 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Big Bats Bangin’. The Rays only had 5 hits, but the Rays’ big bats made them count, with home runs from Evan Longoria, Desmond Jennings, and BJ Upton…Alex Cobb. The Rays are now 7-0 in the last 7 games started by Corn Cobb (of course that includes a start against the Angels in which he gave up 8 runs in 2.2 innings, but everybody else is ignoring that so I guess we will also). But it was another ho-hum outing from Cobb in which he doesn’t look like he is doing anything great, but then you look up and he has worked 7 innings and allowed just 2 runs. It was the 6th time in his last 8 starts in which he worked at least 7 innings and given up 3 runs or less.
THE BAD: Rotation. The Rays starting pitching depth is about to get tested. A week ago it looked like the Rays would have 6 starting pitchers for the final month. But now it looks like Jeff Niemann’s season may be over (see below) and the Rays are concerned with the workload on Alex Cobb’s young arm. Now it is starting to sound like Chris Archer may pitch in some very important games down the stretch.
THE TELLING: Sometimes matchups are more important. But in an ideal world, I have to believe that Joe Maddon would prefer to have Matt Moore pitching between James Shields and Alex Cobb, two pitchers that have similar styles…The Rays are now 9-5 against the Yankees this season, clinching at least a tie in the season series for the third straight year…The Rays are now 1.5 games behind the Yankees and O’s who are tied for first in the East. The Rays also trail the A’s by 1.5 games in the Wild Card…
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Jeff Niemann is going to visit Dr. James Andrews which is never a good sign. Nobody goes to visit Dr. Andrews for a massage. And as a result, the Rays may call up Chris Archer as there are concerns about Alex Cobb’s innings total. [TampaBay.com]
- Durham Bulls manager Charlie Montoyo will join Joe Maddon’s staff for the final month, as will Princeton manager Michael Johns. [TBO.com]
- A Yankees collapse would be historic (where have we heard this before?). [ESPN]
- Are steroids as common as ever in Major League Baseball? Some think so. [BI Sports]
- Carlos Pena is excited that his figurine giveaway has him ‘Doing the ‘Los.’ [TampaBay.com]
- Bucs top rookies are getting some strong reviews. [JoeBucsFan]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
DURHAM. season completed
MONTGOMERY. Regular season completed. Playoffs begin tomorrow
CHARLOTTE. season completed
BOWLING GREEN. Regular season completed. Playoffs begin tonight
Tri-City 9, HUDSON VALLEY 3. 3B Richie Shaffer was 2-4 with a triple and is now hitting .298.
PRINCETON. season completed