RAYS 5, Red Sox 2 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: A Cy Young Exclamation Point. After this performance I have to believe that the Cy Young Award is David Price’s to lose. He’s now tied for the lead league with 19 wins. He leads with a 2.56 ERA. He’s third in FIP at 3.05. And last night he became just the third pitcher EVER to throw a complete game against the Red Sox with 13+ strikeouts and no walks. EVER. He is also just the 4th visiting lefty at Fenway EVER to strikeout 13 batters (per ELIAS). EVER. Dude is kinda good…Jeff Keppinger. Kepp had the big blow, a 3-run home run over the Green Monster in the 2nd inning. And he is now hitting .331. That would lead the AL if he had enough at bats to qualify. Unfortunately he will come up about 100 plate appearances short of qualifying.
THE BAD: Molina Hurt. Jose Molina had to be pulled from the game after injuring his quad muscle in his leg. And now I can’t help but wonder if Joe Maddon pushed Molina too hard. Molina, who is in his 13th season and is 37 years old was playing in his 17th straight game. That is by far the longest streak of his career without a day off. Also, Molina has played in 99 games, just 1 short of his career high. And he is 37 and not in good shape. The Rays spoke all year about how they were going to pace Molina. And at the end of the year when he is starting to wear down, they pushed him even harder. Now he is hurt. Marc Topkin reports that Molina is day-to-day. Probably should have been day-to-day before getting hurt.
THE TELLING: Matt Moore will now pitch Friday in Chicago. That means he would also likely be the starting pitcher on the final day of the regular season..Jeff Niemann had another throwing session. At this point I would be surprised if he came back during the regular season. But he might be pushing for a spot on a potential postseason roster. Possibly as a reliever?…The Rays are now 84-70, 3.0 games behind the A’s and 1.0 games behind the Angels. The Rays are also just 3 back in the loss column behind the Orioles. According to CoolStandings.com, the Rays now have a 12.6% chance of making the playoffs.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Here’s a cool video. 16 years after denying a 14-year-old an autograph, Dave Martinez showed up at the now 30-year-old’s radio show and presented him with a gift. [97Xonline]
- In a study that looked at how biased each team’s television commentators are, Dewayne Staats and Brian Anderson proved to be among least biased. You will never guess which crew was most biased? Actually, you probably will. [BI Sports]
- BJ Upton and others reflect on his time with the Rays and look forward to what might happen this off-season. [TampaBay.com]
- I feel like I already posted this, but if not, here it is again. Video of the Rays handing out pizza at the MLB Fan Cave. [MLB.com]
- Have you seen the trailer yet for the new Jackie Robinson movie. [BI Sports]
- Want a laugh? A Green Bay newscast used a replacement weatherman to mock the NFL. [BI Sports]