Evan Longoria, who hasn’t played for the Rays since April, has been activated from the disabled list and will likely be in the lineup tomorrow night against the Blue Jays as the DH. To make room for Longoria on the roster, Will Rhymes has been sent back to Durham.

1. Joe says:

Like I said, it’s more of a delay than a setback because if he had a setback he would not be back tomorrow!

I know he’s not going to come here and we will win 10 straight but I’m still psyched, we got Evan back!!!!

2. Beazy says:

Welcome back Longo, it’s been a LONG(o) time…
    Go Rays!

3. Gus says:

3 months and a week. Quite a hamstring pull (tear). I wish him luck. Durham reports have tempered my expectations.

4. slacker775 says:

Fwiw, Luke Scott seemed to be tearing it up in Durham with multi-homer game(s) and all before coming back to start his 0-41.

Maybe a dull Durham trip foretells a strong showing at the Trop.

• Sarah says:

And I don’t think Sam Fuld got more than a hit or two in his longer rehab stint, and he’s looked pretty decent (by Rays standards) at the plate.

5. Joe says:

I actually expect the Rays to be pumped up tomorrow. Evan might go 0 for ___ but the Rays overall will do well the first day Evan is back.

6. Ken says:

Evan was put on the 60 day disabled list a few weeks ago so that we didn’t have to DFA someone from our 40 man roster. Now that Evan is on the 25 man roster, who was taken off the 40 man roster (Rich Thompson or Brooks Conrad)?

7. Burg says:

too little too late, Evan is a So Cal china doll jerk off

GO RAYS………..

8. don says:

Longoria has had more strained/pulled muscles in 4 football seasons than any other football player in history….Take it easy longo quit getting hit so hard…

• Raysfan137 says:

It’s medical fact that some people are more prone to muscle tears and pulls. In fact Type II muscle tissue (fast twitch) is more prone to fatigue and break down from pulls and tears. Some people have the ability to product more Type II tissue, quickly . This leads to things the quick bat swings and quick releases on feeds from 3rd to second that you see from Longo. It also means you’re more prone to pulls and tears. Longo knows this and has done things like yoga to help prevent these injuries. Yet still they occur. Can’t dis that guy for his DNA. DNA is not a choice. And in his case, it’s my theory that the very thing that makes him a great player is what is making him prone to these injuries. So before people go calling him a china doll, they should understand the science, and think about how their bodies would react to the regimen of major league baseball. Playing nearly every day from the beginning of ST through the season can be a lot more demanding on the body than playing once a week, even if you do get hit hard in football. Getting hit probably wouldn’t bother Longo as much as the muscle strain of going all out, every day, as he does when he’s playing. Can anyone give me an example where you say him BJ…, I mean loaf ?

• Beth says:

Well put. I see no evidence to suggest that Longoria fails to keep himself in shape, and the fact that every off season he’s trying something new (yoga! juice fasts!) indicates that he’d like a better way to protect himself. I think all of us sitting on our couches can be cavalier about how much of a physical toll baseball takes on everyday players.

• don says:

I think everyone who played organized kids sports, had that one kid on the team ( usually one of the best players)that would go home early (crying) because his leg,back, neck, finger something got hurt….Gee I didn’t know it was do to science..
          we just thought they were sissies…

• Hal says:

Now, now don; don’t project your childhood of rejection and pain on to others. Name calling just isn’t very nice.

• Gus says:

It is also a medical fact that when one used steroids that you build muscle faster and it outpaces the body frame’s ability to hold it, and you end up with increase muscle and ligament tears. I’m not saying Longo is a PED user. In fact, I really don’t think he is. I hope it would be that simple an answer, but I don’t think it is. Interesting that both he and Tulowitzski — college teammates — have such similar frames, similar power and (sadly) such similar injuriy problems.

Whatever they are doing in the off-season is not working for the long-term and should be evaluated. What once looked like Hall-of-Fame careers for Longo and Tulo are now in serious jeopardy from muscle tears.